Chapter 18: Gone

Kion ran back to Nina who was playing in the dirt. She heard him running and stood up, smiling, "Hi, Uncle Kion!"

"Listen, Nina, I think there's going to be a big fight. I'm not sure when, but I just have this feeling. I need you to protect yourself and stay hidden, do you understand?"

"But-"

"I said do you understand!" Kion asked more firmly.

Nina nodded. Kion softened his gaze, "Good. Now let's just wait and hide. We want to be safe, alright?"

"Alright."

***

Rani snarled and started running, following Kion's scent, "He lied to me! He promised they'd forgive me!"

Her rage increased with each second she thought about him.

"He's just as bad as me!" Kito chuckled.

"Shut the hell up! I didn't ask for your opinion!"

"Sorry, darling. But you don't have a choice."

Rani's anger flared even more, "KION!"

***

Kion perked his head up as he heard his name echo through the Pridelands.

"Who's saying your name, Uncle Kion?" Nina asked as she looked up at him from inside his paws.

Kion looked at the sky as stars slowly started to appear, "I'm not sure."

"Does anyone want to hurt you?" She asked.

"Only one lioness," Kion replied.

"The one who hurt my mommy?"

He sighed and nodded, "Yes."

"She scares me."

"She scares me too," Kion admitted.

"I thought you were the bravest lion in the Pridelands?" Nina questioned.

"I am."

"But brave lions don't get scared."

Kion chuckled.

Nina purred, "Scardy cat! Scardy cat!"

"Hey!" Kion grinned as he tickled her playfully. Nina squealed, "Kion! Stop it!" She giggled.

He chuckled and stopped.

Nina snuggled up into his chest and looked at the night sky, "You'll be by my side forever, right?"

Kion smiled and gently licked her head, "Always."

***

Rani could smell that Kion's scent was getting stronger. She kept heading in his direction, "He won't get away with this!"

"Oh sure he will! He's not as dumb as he looks," Kito replied.

"Will you just shut up already! I've had enough of you!"

"Afraid not. It's my job to haunt you. Just like it's your job to roll your eyes at me."