⚖️/Chapter 23

Wriothesley and Neuvillette went to the bathroom next to Neuvillette's office.
"Love, you have a plan to escape prison, right?"
Neuvillette asked, he was sure Wriothesley had something planned, since he barely accepted losing...
____________________________

"Yes Neuvillette, I have a plan."
Wriothesley said in a confident tone.
"I'll be able to get out of prison sooner or later, and when I do I'm going to take you and Sigewinne away from here. Away from this prison and to a much better place."
Wriothesley put a reassuring hand on Neuvillette's shoulder.
"I promise you, we'll have our happy ever after, but you need to promise me something too."

Neuvillette smiled, he nodded.
"Yes, what is it?"
He was up to the idea of living in other place now, after all... Wriothesley was the reason of his happiness, not his work.

"You need to promise to look after Sigewinne while I'm away. You're good with kids, and I want Sigewinne to feel safe and protected while I'm gone."
Wriothesley said with a warm smile.
"Also, make sure the prison's paperwork is all in order in my absence."
He then looked at Neuvillette and laughed warmly.
"I'm kidding about that second part of course."
He said, his tone a little bit teasing.

Neuvillette giggled a bit, he then put both his hands on Wriothesley's chest and got closer to his husband. He gave him a soft kiss on the cheek.
"I promise I'll take care of her. I'll miss you, Wriothesley, make sure to come back as fast as you can."
He said.

Wriothesley smiled back at Neuvillette, he knew he could count on his husband to look after Sigewinne and to always support him in his ambitions.
"I'll miss you too, Neuvillette. Make sure you and Sigewinne are doing well while I'm gone."
Wriothesley then embraced Neuvillette, and the two of them shared a long and passionate kiss before he walked out the door of the bathroom. Wriothesley had one thing in mind... escaping from the prison of Meropide.

Time later, Wriothesley was arrested, and this time it was harsher. Especially because it was not Neuvillette responsible for this action, but other police officers who were responsible for keeping Wriothesley arrested.
He tried to plan several things, but he couldn't get out.

"Clorinde, can't you help Wriothesley try to get out instead? I know it could be a crime for a judge to want such a thing but-"
Neuvillette said with his serious expression, before being interrupted by Furina, who was listening to the conversation.

"Ohoho, Monsieur Neuvillette! Your husband will be fine, there's no need to worry so much!"
Furina said, her expression smiling as usual.

Clorinde looked at her, not at all pleased with the situation.
"Wriothesley was arrested for an unfair reason, after all, isn't Neuvillette the judge here?"
Clorinde asked, disgusted by the situation, her serious expression with a slight sign of anger.

"But I am the archon, I also have the right to justice! And I can confirm that in my opinion, the marriage was inappropriate."
Furina said, her expression a little irritated at the end of the sentence.

"Lady Furina, there is nothing wrong with marrying someone, we are both adults, even if he is a mortal and I am immortal."
Neuvillette said, his expression serious as always.

Sigewinne was sitting on the couch watching the conversation, but said nothing. She was clearly worried about the situation, as she spent most of her life with Wriothesley.

"No no, Wriothesley will spend his time in prison! I decided and that's it."
Furina said, denying the opinion of the Chief Justice of Fontaine.

"Lady Furina...But..."
Neuvillette stopped speaking, afraid of his own words, as they were heavy...

"Oh come on, this is ridiculous. I didn't do anything wrong this time. Yes, I know about my criminal history, but that's all in the past! Why can't the police give me another chance?"
Said Wriothesley, he didn't look to happy with the situation. Yet there he was, in his prison cell.

Navia looked at him.
"Because you always manage to escape from prison. They just want to make sure you don't get out again."
She said, her tone annoyed.

"I just want to get out of this place. Is it really that hard for people to trust me?"
Said Wriothesley, looking annoyed by the situation.

"Well Wriothesley, but I think you're in prison for marrying Monsieur Neuvillette, I doubt it has anything to do with your criminal past."
Navia said, a little calmer about the situation.

"What's wrong with marrying Neuvillette? He's a wonderful man, and we both love each other! The government shouldn't have any problem with our marriage."
Wriothesley said, anyone could see by his tone that he wasn't happy.

Navia rolled her eyes but refrained from criticizing Wriothesley's reasoning.
"Unfortunately, a portion of the Fontaine Law prohibits an immortal being from marrying a mortal one."
Said Navia.

"That law is stupid."
Wriothesley said as he rolled his eyes.

"I must agree... Our Hydro Archon, Lady Furina, added this to the list of laws, even though Neuvillette never agreed with it."
Navia said, sitting on a chair outside Wriothesley's prison cell.

"So that's Furina's doing. I should've known she was behind this, Neuvillette always complained about how strict she was with the law."
Wriothesley then groaned and leaned back on the wall, he started to feel restless as he didn't want to stay in the prison cell for long.

Navia sighed, she looked at the ceiling.
"Yeah... But hey, I think you and Neuvillette make a great couple."
She said, looking back at Wriothesley with a smile.

"Thank you for understanding. I really think Neuvillette and I can have a wonderful future together."
Wriothesley then looked back at Navia and he smiled warmly at her.
"And I'm sure you get along great with someone yourself?"
He asked with a teasing undertone.

Navia laughed lightly, a little embarrassed.
"Ah yes, with Miss Clorinde, I must admit that I like her a lot..."
Said Navia.

"Oh? Miss Clorinde? I've heard she can be quite a troublemaker!"
Wriothesley then laughed loudly and teased Navia by saying:
"Oh, you like her a lot? Do you like her enough to marry her?"

Navia blushed a bit, she then looked away and chuckled, speaking.
"Hahaha, oh yes... I surely do."

Wriothesley smiled at Navia's reply.
"Well, that's good to hear. Miss Clorinde also seems to care about you and your well-being."
A guard then appeared outside the door of his prison cell, it seems like Navia's time with Wriothesley is almost over.
"Navia, make sure to tell Neuvillette that I love him, and that I'll make sure to escape and to come see him as soon as possible."

"You can count on me, Wriothesley. I'll see you then."
Navia said as she left the Fortress of Meropide. After a while, she went to the Court of Fontaine and entered the Palais Mermonia, hearing the whole discussion that was happening in Neuvillette's office.

There was Clorinde, Furina and Neuvillette. Trying to come up with a reason to release Wriothesley from prison, Neuvillette finished his speech.
"Lady Furina...But what about..."...