19장 || The Painted Veil

Author's pov

Shortly after witnessing the king's peaceful descent into slumber, Lady Jeongsun, with a seemingly heavy heart, exited the doors of his chamber. Outside, the hallway was lit by coming evening.

She paused momentarily, her gaze drawn to the young prince. He was being encircled protectively by guards, moving in synchronization, each step reflecting their impeccable training. They were clearly following the orders of the crown prince. The young prince, avoided his mother's gaze, his eyes lowered, possibly in shame or pain. She shook her head scoffing. The resident physician, offered a supportive arm, helping the young prince navigate the corridor with care.

Lost in her thoughts and concerned for the prince, Lady Jeongsun was jolted back to the present when she accidentally bumped into Lady Minyoung. It seemed as though Lady Minyoung had just had an intense conversation with the general, his tall silhouette receding into the corridor's shadows.

Lady Jeongsun's eyes, flecked with curiosity, quickly forgetting about her son. She looked at Lady Minyoung up and down before saying with feigned innocence, "Since when were you and the general so... acquainted?"

Lady Minyoung, clearly taken aback, hesitated. Her hand involuntarily reached up to adjust her hanbok. Then, narrowing her eyes and trying to maintain her composure, she shot back what could only be described as a scathing look, one that would have made anyone of lesser stature cower.

Drawing herself up to her full height, Lady Jeongsun responded with a frosty air, "It's amusing that someone of your age, old enough to be my daughter... that you would look at me with such brazen disregard. Were you not taught respect, or has the world changed so much?"

Lady Minyoung's lips parted as if to retort, but she then smirked, a spark of defiance in her eyes. "You possess nothing I covet," she said confidently, her chin raised. " Why are you owed respect?"

Yet Lady Jeongsun remained unruffled. She tilted her head, her piercing gaze unwavering. "If it's the crown prince you're setting your sights on, perhaps you might want to refine your approach." A knowing smile tugged at her lips.

Suspicion dawned in Lady Minyoung's eyes as they darted about, reading every nuance on Lady Jeongsun's face. The younger woman's fingers clenched, crumpling the delicate fabric of her hanbok. "What have you orchestrated?" she inquired, her voice slightly strained.

Lady Jeongsun's laugh, gentle yet filled with amusement, echoed in the corridor. She elegantly turned on her heel, her luxurious robes swishing softly with each step. "Your confidence is commendable, dear Minyoung, but it seems your wit doesn't match your actions," she observed with a casual air. " How shameful... you even chance the men she's left behind after she's stolen yours?"

Lady Minyoung's face flushed a deeper shade, a mix of anger and confusion. "What are you insinuating?" she pressed, her voice filled with desperation for answers.

Pausing, Lady Jeongsun glanced over her shoulder, her eyes gleaming with a hidden confession. "Once you master the art of genuine humility, perhaps I'll consider guiding your steps in this palace. But for now, perhaps you should be expressing your gratitude to me that the crown prince hasn't yet produced an heir with that.... Temptress." With a final, acknowledging nod, she gracefully continued her departure, leaving a bewildered and fuming Lady Minyoung in her wake.

The cold, crisp air of the courtyard was momentarily disturbed by another set of rustling silken robes. Emerging from the archway, the imposing figure of the Queen Dowager made her presence known. The elderly queen's sharp eyes darted between the two women, her senses ever alert to the subtle dynamics at play within her son's palace.