5장 || A Dance of Stars

Crown Prince pov

Eomamama—She might've been disappointed to see me squander my life the way I had been. She might've been puzzled to hear such sentiments. Still, I couldn't help but become the man I was turning into. Out of guilt, I'd come to accept these as the highs and lows of my journey, until, perhaps, I'd grow weary of them. It wasn't even guaranteed that fate would allow me to live long enough to truly care. After all, it never did for my mother.

She would've asked, "Are you happy? Have you found joy in your life?"

This past year, at least, all that came to a halt. I was neither happy nor sad. And with her not around to ask me, it only deepened the ache.

"I really need to stop overthinking," I muttered to myself, massaging my temples. I sighed, wandering later that evening. I tightened the royal robe around me as I exited my chamber.

The echo of my footsteps felt remote, and with each stride, the memory of the evening dimmed.

Turning a corner, I spotted Scholar Hyun-seok waiting for me. His brows raised slightly as he took in my somewhat disheveled appearance.

"Are you well?" he inquired, his voice laced with a hint of amusement.

I gave a brief nod. "Well enough, considering the circumstances," I replied, a trace of bitterness evident in my tone.

Scholar Hyun-seok chuckled. It was grounding to have him nearby, with his sharp intellect and witty disposition.

His presence offered a welcome respite from the constant pageantry and subterfuge of the palace. "Ah, another evening in the illustrious company of our esteemed court women?" he remarked with a hint of sarcasm.

I sighed, brushing my hair from my face. "It's not by choice, as you well know. But I can't say it's a task I often complain about either."

He scoffed and shook his head. "Are you boasting in front of an elder?" he teased, clicking his tongue in mock disapproval.

I shook my head, amused. As we began walking, lanterns cast flickering shadows along the corridors, the world outside punctuated only by the chorus of cicadas. "I sometimes wish I had more say in... well, many matters," I admitted.

He stopped walking for a moment, turning to look at me, his gaze searching my face. "You're the Crown Prince. You could have anyone you desired, and yet...?"

I raised my hand, interrupting him before he could continue, "I haven't found anyone..."

Hyun-seok tilted his head slightly, resting his chin on his hand thoughtfully, "Jeoha, Are you even looking?" He asked, eyes narrowing slightly in curiosity.

I exhaled deeply, diverting my gaze upwards, as if searching for answers in the palace ceilings.

After a brief moment, I glanced back at him, shaking my head, while absent-mindedly rubbing the back of my neck. "Honestly? With the weight of the crown, the court, the duties... where would I find the time?" I responded, a half-laugh escaping my lips.

Scholar Hyun-seok responded with a light tap on my shoulder, grinning, "In time, perhaps. Maybe when you're not so swamped with other matters."

I smiled wryly, using my hand to gesture broadly at the surroundings - the palace, the court, everything that was part of my daily life. "It's all so... structured here. I might complain now and then, but do I really want to toss in more complications?"

" There's always Lady M..." he began, however that was short lived.

He quickly shook his head, as he looked at me.
He responded with a knowing nod, theatrically placing a hand over his heart. "Ah, the weighty troubles of royalty," he remarked with playful sarcasm.