33장 || Veiled Desires

Author's pov

As the celebratory feast extended into the evening, the Queen Dowager, tapped a jade chopstick against her golden cup. The hall quieted, brimming with anticipation at her gesture.

"We gather here in joy to celebrate the union," she declared, her voice rising across the hall. Raising her cup, she smiled warmly toward Neeria's parents.

She paused for a moment then continued  "It is with great pleasure that we formally announce a union that will bind our two kingdoms in joyful ties - the engagement of Crown Prince Yisan to Lady Neeria!" Cheers and applause filled the hall, the air buzzing with festivity.

Amidst celebrations awash in rice wine, stolen glances frequently passed between Yisan and Neeria.

Yisan, ever the shrewd tactician, would catch Neeria's eye across the crowded feast, only to nonchalantly look away, sipping his drink to hide a hint of a smile.

In passing, he allowed his clever fingers to lightly skim Neeria's knuckles, so subtly it might be mistaken for an accident. When Neeria gave him chiding looks, he simply gazed at her. Aware that there wasn't anything she could do. Their continued flirtation was a sweet torment, a game of restraint swiftly unraveling.

When he excused himself from the group to rejoin Neeria, he did so with a purposeful stride, her approval clearly evident in her appraising gaze.

"Have I mentioned how exceptionally well you wear that color, Jeoha?" she remarked as he approached.

Yisan responded with a gentle grin, his eyes boldly tracing the length of Neeria's figure. "Such open adulation? You flatter me," he teased. "Want to say it one more time?" He asked lowering himself to her eye level.

Despite her fluttering pulse, Neeria managed a coy, scoffing sound. "As if your ego requires any feeding..."

"Anyway, you can't keep looking at me like that," she stated, observing him return from another brief, respectful bow to an attendee. Yisan raised an eyebrow in her direction, his smile growing.

" Or touching me, like that...it's unfair..." Neeria added.

He leaned closer, his familiar scent enveloping her, fogging her wits. "Come now, after so many sweet words tossed my way so freely this evening?" he whispered near her ear.

Neeria straightened hastily, striving for composure. "You mistake courtesy for candor, sir," she replied, though her breathless tone betrayed her fluster.

He paused for a moment taking in her mannerism, rather amused. "You can't last, can you?" Yisan whispered, glancing briefly at her lips. Momentarily caught off guard, Neeria set aside her drink, trying to regain her poise.

As the lively celebrations swirled around the betrothed pair, Prince Yisan's gaze caught on a stray droplet of sweet wine clinging to Lady Neeria's lower lip. With playful tenderness, he reached to gently wipe the nectar away, his thumb just grazing the softness.

"My future wife seems to be a bit messy," he teased affectionately before locking eyes with her to convey his unmisting admiration and commitment. Allowing himself a lighter lapse in decorum given their intimacy, Yisan delicately licked the droplet from his finger, never breaking the affectionate connection of their gaze.

Neeria felt her gaze involuntarily drawn to Prince Yisan's mouth as he tasted the droplets of wine, before hurriedly composing herself. Yisan's low, sly chuckle hinted he caught her momentary lapse.

"Care for a friendly wager, my love?" he proposed impishly, eyes alight with tease as he took another long sip from her cup.

Neeria raised her chin, rallying her poise even as her racing pulse belied her casual tone. "You seem remarkably assured of besting me somehow." She fanned herself leisurely as if to combat the heat creeping up her neck. "What makes you think I can't maintain composure?"