4장 || In Hushed Tones

Neeria's POV

The soft notes of the gayageum reverberated through the room, setting a melodious rhythm. The soft glow of the lanterns illuminated the practice hall, casting a warm, hue over everything. The scent of incense wafted through the air left a sensation of calm yet that too was invigorating.

As the first note reached my ears, my body began to move almost instinctively. Every beat, every strum, guided my steps, my hands, my expressions. Dancing had always been my escape, a way to communicate when words fell short.

"Neeria," Master Joon's voice cut through the music, causing me to halt mid-step. His scrutinizing gaze assessed every inch of me.

"Remember, fluidity and grace. The audience must feel every emotion, every story you wish to convey."

I nodded, taking a deep breath to center myself before beginning the routine anew.

Such a demanding instructor he was. I sighed, massaging my aching legs. It was expected, I supposed. The palace had high standards, and every move had to be perfected to the finest detail.

As I lost myself in the dance, I sensed more than just the scrutinizing gaze of my instructor. Whispers from the onlooking maids and courtiers resonated in the corners of the room.

It seemed I was still the palace's newest fascination, with every step and twirl of mine dissected and discussed.

As the final notes of the music faded, I ended my performance with a graceful bow. Catching my breath, I lifted my gaze to lock eyes with Uhn Yuhn, who looked back at me with pride and a touch of playful envy.

"Unnie," she began as she approached, her voice dripping with awe, "I'm jealous."

"As you should be," I replied with a playful smirk.

She walked beside me, her tone sincere. "Your performance... it's captivating. The palace hasn't seen anything quite like it."

I smiled, wiping the sweat from my brow. "Thank you, Uhn Yuhn. It's all thanks to practice."

She chuckled, "With the way you dance, I wouldn't be surprised if the crown prince himself comes to watch one of these days."

The mere mention of the crown prince sent a flutter through my stomach. "Let's not get ahead of ourselves," I responded, masking my nervousness.

As Uhn Yuhn adjusted her dance shoes, she paused, looking up at me. I was focusing on my breathing, mentally preparing for the remainder of the practice session ahead.

She broke the silence, her tone reflective, "You know, the last time the crown prince attended a practice session, it was with his mother. Since she's passed, he has never stopped by again."

I met her gaze, surprised by the revelation. "Really? That's... sad. Why do you bring it up now?"

She shrugged, the silver ornaments in her hair shimmering with the movement. "Oh, just a thought. It's been a while, and with all the changes in the palace recently, one never knows."

A small smirk played on her lips. "Besides, wouldn't it be something if he chose today of all days to revisit those memories?"

I raised an eyebrow, intrigued yet wary. "You always have your ear to the ground, don't you? Heard any whispers that he might attend today?"

Uhn Yuhn laughed softly, her eyes gleaming with mischief. "Not particularly. He's... going to be occupied later anyways. But it's always best to expect the unexpected."

I nodded, considering her words as I adjusted my dance attire.

Taking a deep breath, I tried to shake off the nerves. "Well, if he does come, I hope he enjoys the performance."