2장 || Echoes in Moonlight

Neeria's pov

I wasn't an obtuse person, at least I couldn't say I was or saw how I might imply that. However, it felt slightly impractical to travel over the seas only to be met with long stares.

In other words, I've always been someone who thinks things through. So, traveling here, knowing I'd receive curious glances, was a bit out of the ordinary for me.

It wasn't the stares that bothered me; it was the introspection they incited as if those observing were also looking at me in confusion. For instance, on the day I set foot on this unfamiliar land, observing the women casting fleeting glances and whispering in my direction, felt almost deserved. They remained oblivious to the fact that I understood their words, and in a way, I found solace in that. Controlling when I'd let them realize I comprehended their insults was almost comforting.

The truth was my reasons for being here were few and nebulous. My journey here wasn't without its critics. My parents often questioned the wisdom behind their eldest daughter setting sail for Joseon. But my heart had its reasons... reasons tethered to him, a memory I could still feel on my skin. I was naive as I was mature. It didn't feel like a crime. How could I not be, I was infatuated by him.

His tender kisses that once trailed my neck, the warmth of his lips just a breath away from mine—these memories remained, both teasing and haunting. A sigh escaped me as I tried to dispel the vivid recollections.

The letters had stopped arriving months after his departure from my homeland. Every time I approached the port, hoping to find a new parchment bearing his elegant script, my heart would sink a little more when the merchant or sailor would shake their head, indicating no messages had come for me. The distance between our worlds was more than just the vast oceans that separated us.

Every evening, as the sun set, I'd sit clutching the last letter he had sent. I had become the woman I used to laugh at, finding importance in a man. I didn't like that... yet I also couldn't say I minded it. Even if not for him, I still wanted to see this place.

His words always described the beauty of Joseon, its rich culture, and the mesmerizing landscapes that surrounded him. He spoke of his longing to see me again, and I could almost hear the timbre of his voice as I read his words.

It was his stories, what seemed like his unwavering love, and the promise of a future together that compelled me to embark on this journey.

But as the ship docked and I stepped onto this unfamiliar land, the reality of my decision began to set in. Joseon was no longer just words on paper; it was tangible, real, and overwhelming. Maybe it was then that I thought to myself: perhaps I truly wasn't the wisest for making this decision. However, that was a sentiment only for me to hold. I didn't want the others to harbor any such suspicions.

The silver lining was that at least now, I could rest. Lying on the straw mat was far more comfortable than the ship's floor. The gentle caress of the silken sheets against my skin and the rhythmic lull of cicadas outside had nearly sent me into a peaceful slumber when there was a soft knock on the door.

The sliding door opened a crack, and Lady Jinsun's familiar silhouette gracefully stepped into the dimly lit corridor, holding up the hem of her hanbok to avoid tripping. She was a beautiful woman, a fact I had noticed when we first arrived at the palace. Yet, she was enigmatic, her eyes always slightly downturned, much like I perceived myself to be.

"Neeria," she whispered, pausing to bow her head slightly in respect, "I know I said you should rest, but there are some matters we need to address tonight."

I sat up straighter, rubbing my eyes with the back of my hand to dispel the sleep, and nodded. "Of course, Lady Jinsun."

She stepped fully into the room, her hanbok flowing gracefully with each movement. She clasped her hands in front of her as she spoke, "I thought it best to discuss some things while the palace is quiet, away from prying eyes and ears."