Rebuilding

Evelyn nervously gripped her bag as she walked through the Stranger Things set. People recognized her and gawked. She ignored them and focused on finding Joe. When she did, he was sitting in an old RV, filming.

"It's silly, but I've actually," Joe was reciting, "I always had this dream that I'd have this really, really big family. I'm talking a full brood of Harringtons. Like five, six kids."

"Six?" Natalia gasped.

"Yeah, six little nuggets," Joe shrugged. "Three girls, three boys. And every summer, I figured all of us Harringtons would pack into something like this and just see the country. You know, the Rockies, the Grand Canyon, maybe Yellowstone. End up in some beachside town in California. Spend a week parked in the sand. Learn how to surf or something."

"That sounds nice," Natalia said slowly.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah," she nodded. Evelyn hated how watching this scene made her feel. "Well," Natalia continued, "uh, except for the six kids part. That sounds like a total nightmare."

"If only I had some practice," he chuckled.

"That's fair," Natalia giggled. The two stared at each other as the music played. Just behind the camera, Joe noticed Evelyn with her arms wrapped around herself.

"And cut!" The director yelled. "Great work, you guys. Go home."

Joe instantly got out of the RV, heading straight for Evelyn. "Hey," he said when he got to her.

"Hi," she said, looking at her shoes.

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay," she said, slowly looking back up at him. "Thank you, again, for everything. For catching me. Taking me to the hospital. Staying with me."

"Of course," he smiled.

"It's a big deal," she stuttered. "And you didn't have to do it."

"Yes, I did," he said, his heart slightly sinking. "I don't think you understand, Evelyn. I'd do it again. I'd do anything for you."

The two stared at each other for a while, but Evelyn broke the intense staring contest.

Joe closed the gap between them and gently grabbed her hands. "I know I've said this a lot, but I need to say it again."

"What?" She asked, looking up at him.

"Evelyn," he whispered. "I should've talked to you. Instead of drinking at that party. I should've told you how I was feeling, what was bugging me. I'm so sorry. Please tell me you know how sorry I am."

"I do," she said softly. "And I forgive you."

Joe studied her, not believing what he was hearing. He took a shaky breath, struggling to swallow the lump in his throat. He couldn't help but pull her closer.

"Can I make it up to you?" Joe begged.

"How?" Evelyn asked, looking down at her feet.

"By taking you to our diner."

"Our diner?" Evelyn stuttered, looking back up at Joe.

"Yeah," he chuckled. "The one we went to the night of your premiere. You in the mood for a burger?"

"I am," she said with a soft giggle. She looked him up and down, giggling again. "But you might want to freshen up, Harrington."

Joe looked down and laughed, finally remembering that he was full Steve Harrington.

"Give me fifteen minutes," he chuckled.

"Fifteen?" She teased. He looked up, smiling when he realized she was teasing him the same way he had teased her.