A Shift

Even though they agreed to go back to normal, Evelyn couldn't. Being around Joe was too painful for her. So, she avoided him. She didn't answer his calls, meet him for lunch, or anything.

"You okay?"

Evelyn looked over to see Jane watching her.

"I'm fine," Evelyn tried to dismiss.

"Evelyn," Jane elongated. "What's wrong?"

"I told you. . . "

"You're fine," Jane sighed. "You're always fine even though you're in the middle of a mental war with yourself that no one is going to be able to talk you out of."

"I said I was fine," Evelyn cut her off. She grabbed her phone and left her dressing room.

Throughout the day, Evelyn couldn't get into her work. Usually, she struggles to snap out of character. Today, she was struggling to get into character.

It's been about three days and Evelyn hasn't snapped out of it. Jane's tried talking to her, but the more she tried, the more Evelyn seemed to build up walls.

Jane checked the clock on her phone, her heart jumping into her throat. Evelyn was never late. Jane held her breath as she listened to her phone ring. The longer it rang, the harder it was for her to hold her breath.

When the phone went to voicemail, she tried to call again. And again. And again. And again. After the fifth missed phone call, Jane stopped calling. She was about to give up but thought about calling one more person. One person who might be able to get through to her.

* * * * *

Joe held his breath as he waited for Evelyn to answer her phone. His heart sank into his stomach when it went to voicemail.

"Hey," he said, not feeling very confident. "It's me. . . Of course, you know it's me. Look, I know things have been weird between us and I'm sorry about that. I wish I could take it back. I wish I could go back and slap that first drink out of my hands. I wish I could make things go back to the way they were between us. I'm so sorry, Evelyn."

Joe took a shaky breath, forcing himself to focus on why he called and why Jane asked him to call. He cleared his throat, trying to get rid of the lump in his throat.

"I umm. . . That's not the reason I called," he admitted. "Well, I've been wanting to reach out and talk to you about everything but. . . Jane's worried about you. And to be honest, Evelyn, I'm worried about you. Jane says that you haven't been yourself. I kinda feel. . . I mean maybe. . . Is it my fault, Evelyn? Please tell me the truth. If it is my fault, I'm sorry and I will do whatever it takes to make it up to you."

Joe paused before adding, "If you don't want to do this anymore, I will walk away and never bother you again."

Those words hit him harder than he thought they would. "As much as I don't want to," he added. "Evelyn, please call me back, okay? I'm worried about you."

Joe hung up, his heart plummeting into his stomach. He thought about it for a second, not entirely sure what to do. He wanted to check on her, but he wasn't sure if she would open the door.

It's worth a try.

Joe grabbed his keys and headed out to his car. The entire drive to Evelyn's place, he debated going to her work. He tried to remember Evelyn's filming schedule this week, but his heart sank when he realized he didn't know her schedule.

When he got to her building, he threw his car into park and ran up the stairs. He held his breath as he knocked on the door. He let out a sigh of relief when he heard shuffling inside.