After-Hours Dinner

The second they got into the limo, Evelyn leaned her head on Joe's shoulder. He tried to ignore the weird flip his stomach did, but it wouldn't go away.

"I'm exhausted," she sighed.

"Me too," Joe chuckled.

Joe's heart jumped into his throat when Evelyn shifted so she was cuddled more into his chest.

"And I'm hungry."

"Then let's go get dinner," he blurted out.

"We can't," she pouted as she sat up. Joe couldn't ignore the disappointment that replaced the warmth of Evelyn.

"Why not?" He asked, struggling to swallow the lump in his throat.

"Joe," she giggled, "it's almost two in the morning. No place is open."

Joe bit his lip, failing to hide his smirk. "I may know of a place."

After giving the driver the address and returning to his seat, Evelyn instantly laid her head back on his shoulder. He smiled as he snaked his arm around her waist.

The two closed their eyes, enjoying the silence. The drive was too short for either one of them. After they arrived, Joe got out and held the door open for Evelyn.

Evelyn and Joe walked into the little 50s-themed diner at almost two in the morning in full red carpet gear–a ball gown and a tuxedo. She subconsciously wrapped her arms around herself when she got a chill from the diner's AC. Joe instantly took off his suit coat and wrapped it around Evelyn's shoulders. She smiled in thanks.

"This place is great," she chuckled. "How'd you find it?"

"My first weekend here," he started to explain, "I was stir-crazy and nervous the night before my first audition. I went for a walk and ended up getting lost. That's when I came across this place. I ordered some food and the owner gave me directions. After that, I couldn't stop coming here."

"Then you know what to order," Evelyn said, the smile never leaving her face. "My late-night diner is in your hands."

Joe sent Evelyn a wink before going up to the counter and ordering two of his favorite meals. A few minutes later, their order was ready. That was another thing Joe loved about this place. He's never waited more than five minutes for his food.

"This is the best burger I've ever had," Evelyn said through a mouthful.

"I'm glad you like it," Joe chuckled before eating a fry.

Throughout their late-night dinner, Joe and Evelyn talked about their favorite and least favorite premieres. Since this whole fake relationship started, this was the first time that either one of them truly felt comfortable around the other.

* * * * *

"My feet hurt," Evelyn sighed as they got back into the limo and the driver started heading back to Evelyn's loft.

"What are you doing?" She laughed as Joe leaned down and took her shoes off for her.

"You said your feet hurt," Joe shrugged.

"Well, yeah," she said slowly.

"We have a twenty-minute drive back to your place," Joe chuckled. "Rest your feet."

"Actually, now it's going to be harder to put my shoes back on because my feet will have. . ." She stopped talking and sent Joe a teasing smirk. He rolled his eyes, letting out a small chuckle when he realized she was teasing him.

"In all seriousness though," Evelyn sighed, "I'm going to have to walk into my loft barefoot."

"I'll give you a piggyback ride," he offered. He laughed when he saw the look on Evelyn's face. He added, "You have an elevator, right?"

"Ha-ha," she fake laughed.

Joe winked at her causing Evelyn to laugh and turn to look out her window. He glanced over and studied her. He knew he shouldn't, but he couldn't help it. Over the last 48 hours, he's seen a completely different side of her than he ever expected.

Everyone knew about the strong, award-winning, Evelyn Jones. Now, only Joe saw that Hollywood's Favorite Badass wasn't as badass as she acted.

Joe's breath got stuck in his throat when Evelyn leaned her head against his shoulder. He smiled before gently placing his head on top of hers. They stayed like that for the rest of the ride back to Evelyn's loft.

When the driver arrived, Joe lifted his head. He whispered Evelyn's name causing her to sigh.

"I'm awake," she mumbled.

"Come on," he chuckled. "I'll walk you to your door."

"Oh," she teased. "Chivalry isn't dead?"

"Not tonight," Joe laughed as he shrugged.

He got out of the car and held his hand out for Evelyn. She took it and allowed him to help her out of the car. As they walked up to Evelyn's loft, Joe kept her hand in his. He didn't let go until they got to her front door. She grabbed her keys but turned toward him instead of walking in.

"Thanks again for coming with me tonight, Joe."

"Of course," he shrugged.

"I mean it," she said grabbing his hand again. "You didn't have to come, it wasn't part of the deal, but you came simply because I needed you there. It meant a lot to me that you were willing to come with me. Thank you, Joe."

"I'm happy I could help," he smiled at her. He hesitated but only for a second before adding, "If you ever need anything, I want you to know that you can reach out to me."

"I know."