Chapter 28

The hot water enveloped Viserra's body as she sank down deep into the large tub

The hot water enveloped Viserra's body as she sank down deep into the large tub. Her hips still carried a pleasant ache from the hands that had held onto her just moments earlier. The oils infused in the water carried the familiar scent of her distant home, evoking memories of the spacious soaking tubs she had enjoyed since she was young.

Her thoughts wandered to the land across the Narrow Sea, contemplating the lack of any response from the Triarchy regarding their request for support. She had also sent a letter to her father and had yet to receive word from him as well. Nonetheless, news of their endeavors would inevitably spread, and he would learn of their accomplishments as they happened. The anticipation of it all weighed heavily on her mind as she soaked in the warm water.

"Aemond," she spoke, finally escaping her mind.

Turning, he looked to her, having also been deep within his own thoughts. He was sitting close by, his lithe form reclined delightfully in a chair. The sparkling of his eye that caught in the candlelight gave way that at some point he had also set aside his eyepatch.

"If you hear any word from my father, please let me know." She tried to relay her words without too much emotion and leaned her head to rest on the back of the tub.

He regarded her with curiosity. "Do you worry about him?"

She shook her head, looking then to the ceiling. "I do not," she responded. "Though it is not unusual for us to go long periods without hearing from one another. It's just..." she paused, searching for the right words, "I would like for him to be aware of my doings here in Westeros."

"You still desire his approval." Aemond stated bluntly.

Viserra's eyebrows furrowed at the accusation. "No, it is not that," she defended herself. "He deserves to know that letting me pave my own path was not for nothing. There were many who criticized the choices he let me make, stepping far from becoming a traditional woman, wife, and mother."

"As I said, you seek his validation," he reaffirmed, his opinion unwavering.

She sat up in the tub, her irritation obvious. "It's not about seeking approval," she reasoned. "I only wish for him to feel that he did not make a mistake with me. I do not expect you to understand that."

Aemond pursed his lips together and looked away. For a moment she was not sure that he would respond to a jab at his own upbringing. However, after a few seconds of tense silence, he turned back to her and replied.

"You are correct, I cannot comprehend the struggles of having a father who unconditionally supports his children," his words carried a trace of bitterness, which he hid well, "but these accomplishments you wish him to take pride in have not yet happened."

They locked eyes, both harboring a sting felt by the exchange. But before either of them could launch into another insult, a series of knocks sounded from the front door of the adjacent chamber.