Chapter 7

Viserra wasn't sure where her dragon had been nesting, even though she could feel him nearby. After changing her clothes and receiving the small pack of food, she ventured past the yard and out of the keep. The guards who opened the gate this morning were the same ones that had been there the other day. This time though, they did not give her a second glance, at least not one that she noticed.

She looked over the skies for Rhyn and did not have to wait long, her dragon knew that she was searching for him. The unmistakable deep growl and flapping of wings soon announced that he was there as he landed next to her.

"Emagon ao issare jurnegēre rȳ se tegor kesīr? Daor quba syt lī qilōni glaesagon kesīr?" Have you been exploring the lands here? Hopefully not causing too much trouble for farmers and terrorizing their animals. She leaned into his snout and rubbed the spot in between his eyes, "Ivestragī īlva jikagon hen se ūndegon hēnkirī.  Urnēptre nyke skoros ao ūndegīon." Let us go out and explore together. Show me what you've found.

After climbing up onto her dragon's saddle, she strapped herself in and they took to the skies. They were soon flying outside of the walls of King's Landing and further into the lands, soaring over the small villages that lay outside of the main city.

They flew for more than an hour, only stopping when Viserra's stomach started to growl. The break in their exploration was welcomed by both, finding a grassy hillside to land and lay on for a while before taking her mount into the skies again.

Viserra felt at peace in the sky with her dragon, finally some time spent without tension or watchful eyes. They flew up past the clouds where there was only peace and quiet, a place that only dragonriders knew.

As they soared through the calm air, Viserra thought she would continue her ride standing atop Rhyn's back. This was something she did often when flying alone and in good weather. Without another thought, she tied the reins to the horn of her saddle and started unbuckling her legs.

"Gīda, Rhyn." Steady, Rhyn. She encouraged, waiting for confirmation that her dragon was listening and they were in tune with each other. He spread his wings wide and held steady in the air while she moved to crouch on her seat.

Slowly, she raised herself to standing, holding her arms out to her sides and taking in a deep breath. Laughing as the feeling of adrenaline started to pump through her veins, she found the exhilaration almost took her breath away. The stunt came in handy when she felt the need to escape from life down on the land.

There was nothing to match the feeling of the bond between dragon and rider, especially when they were both in sync with each other. It didn't matter where she was, who she had been with, only that she was soaring in the skies at the mercy of her dragon's respect to keep her safe in the air.

Completely focused on Rhyn's steady gliding and balancing against the wind, she didn't notice a huge dark shadow coming through the break of the clouds hundreds of yards behind her. It was the sudden tensing of the dragon beneath her feet that cued her in that something as amiss.

Crouching down again, she finally noticed the intrusion. It was a huge beast of greenish bronze. Despite its size, it didn't have any trouble gliding smoothly through the air like they did.

"Lykirī." Be calm. She encouraged him, sensing his growing uneasiness with the presence of another dragon. Quickly she sat back in her saddle and strapped herself in, unsure of how Rhyn would react and also worried about the other dragonrider's intentions. "Ilagon." Dive. She commanded, lowering herself to be flush with him as he pulled his wings inward and took a sharp descent through the clouds.

As soon as her dragon broke through the sky, he let out a screech and suddenly jerked them to the right as if avoiding something. It took Viserra a moment to get her bearings and realize that there had been another dragon beneath the clouds that they had almost ran into.