Chapter 15

The next morning Viserra broke her fast in her own room but still her chambermaids out to fetch another brew of tansy tea. The fact that she had to send for it herself did not surprise her. It would only seem fitting that the king would not have had a second thought about the consequences of their actions the day before.

The fruit and cake brought on the tray were quick to fill her belly. Without delay, she had dressed in another pair of training leathers and looked over her blade from its use the day before. These clothes were much more worn than the other pair but it did not bother her in the least. If anything she found it amusing that today she looked more like a common born girl than one that belonged in the royal tower of the castle.

While braiding and securing her hair at the nape of her neck, she felt a bit of excitement for this morning's training. The last time she had met with Aemond in the yard, his ego had prevented them from truly learning from each other. Today would hopefully turn out to be different.

Stepping out into the open hallway, the chilled morning air brought goosebumps all over her body. Viserra quickly made her way to the yard without much interruption and found that Aemond was already training with Ser Criston Cole. Approaching quietly as to not disturb them, she took a seat on a nearby bale of hay.

Viserra soon realized she enjoyed watching the way Aemond fought, he was truly skilled and he easily avoided the Lord Commander's heavy sword. While his movements didn't seem as quick as hers, she noticed he was quite light on his feet. It appeared to take little effort for him to dodge the offensive swings coming his direction.

Aemond had Cole yielding in a few moments time. After giving his sparring partner a nod, he quickly sheathed his sword and brought his eye up to her for the first time.

"You are late," he greeted, the slightest hint of a smile tugging at his mouth.

Viserra did not return his smile but replied quickly, "You had said morning, it is still morning. I see you have started without me." She glanced over at the knight, who looked at them both with an uncomfortable level of intensity.

Aemond walked to her, hands behind his back and his lips coming to form a smirk. He offered his hand to her, a gesture that Viserra chose to outright ignore. His smirk turned into a firm stare and she chose to ignore that too.

"Is the Lord Commander going to be present throughout our training this morning?" She asked Aemond, avoiding the gaze of the knight.

"I do not wish to cross swords with a woman." Cole replied to the Prince, but Viserra shot him a dirty look as if she were surprised at his audacity.

"I have no intentions to cross swords with you either. Though I thought we might both spar with the prince so we can practice dueling with more than one skilled fighter at time." She was irritated by his sudden attitude, knowing that she had not ever given him a valid reason to dislike her.

Cole shifted his weight and spoke again, this time to Viserra, "Do you doubt my abilities in training the prince, My Lady?"

"I did not say anything of the sort," Viserra replied, "But it is not you who is unfamiliar with his sword skill. I thought it best to familiarize myself with his technique before aiding him on the battlefield."

Both held each other's stare and the silence in the air was not broken until Aemond spoke up.

"You may go," Aemond said, looking to the knight who seemed to be surprised by the dismissal.

Seeming to struggle with following the command, he met Viserra's eyes once more with a slightly apprehensive expression. Then, with a quick bow, finally took his leave.