Chapter 1

King Jaehaerys and Queen Alysanne bore six sons and seven daughters by 80 AC

King Jaehaerys and Queen Alysanne bore six sons and seven daughters by 80 AC. Not one of their children would live without tragedy and this seemed especially true for the princesses' that survived infancy. Their fifth daughter, Princess Saera Targaryen, was a fierce and difficult young woman. Who after a long bout of rebellion, used her intelligence and wit to escape sentencing with the Faith in Oldtown. Eventually, she escaped to Volantis and lived out a life abhorred by her Targaryen family back in the Seven Kingdoms.

In Volantis, Saera bore three sons of noble lineage, one of whom quickly ascended the political ranks with aspirations of becoming a Triarch. The youngest of these sons, Vaelon, was rumored to bear a striking resemblance to his grandfather and had even come to lay claim to the throne when King Jaehaerys sought out an heir.

Encouraged by his mother, Vaelon carried his Volantene wealth to Westeros to try and persuade the lords to support his claim. However, with no deep-rooted connections to the Seven Kingdoms beyond his Targaryen blood, his request was ultimately rejected, and the title was awarded to his cousin, Viserys. Feeling only minor disappointment, he utilized his wealth to barter for a dragon egg before returning home, hoping that if it hatched, it would grant him more influence and prosperity in Volantis.

A decade later, Princess Saera's granddaughter was born, the fire in her veins evident from the time she took her very first breath and let out a roaring cry. She survived her mother, who succumbed to the complications from a long and difficult labor, and surprised the birth attendants who assumed the child would be stillborn.

Proving to be formidable and strong willed from birth, she was named after her grandmother's sister, Viserra Targaryen. Another Targaryen princess said to be a spirited and determined young woman. Saera had suggested that they place Vaelon's dragon egg in her cradle, that this child born with fire in her veins might be the one bring it to life. While the body heat of a babe was nowhere near as warm as embers, she believed that temperature was not the only factor that could influence its success in hatching.

Coincidentally, the same day that Viserra's mother had passed, the egg began to crack. Within a fortnight, a small, black dragon emerged, almost as if there had been some kind of exchange between life and death. From that day forward, the bond between the little girl and her dragon was unbreakable, and once she could speak, she named her dragon Rhyn.

Growing up, little Viserra was aware of her family's history and prided herself on being well read across many topics. Having only lived in the riches of Volantis, she had an insatiable curiosity for her family's legacy and an ever persistent desire to meet those who also shared her Targaryen blood. Despite her father's wariness, her grandmother had only encouraged this inquisitiveness, repeatedly reminding him that if he tried to hold her back, she would only find her own way to what she wanted.

When Viserra was six years of age, her father and grandmother brought her to fighting pits for the first time. Instead of being scared or horrified of the brutalities before her, she instantly became enamored with it all. Once they had returned home, she begged her father to learn how to wield a sword, and when he denied her at first, she refused her studies until he gave in and agreed.