Chapter Fourteen

"We have always been equals. Love makes people so."

Market Harborough, Leicestershire; October 11, 1913.

There was to be a harvest moon tonight and as Belle had done for decades she would attend the Harvest Festival in Market Harborough, a small town whose residents were mainly farmers and craftsmen. The only difference was that James was accompanying her on the three hour ride to the market place. Glaurung and Scatha pulled a short cart along the uneven dirt and cobble path. The air was still warm, the lingering of a summer that was reluctant to leave but the nip and chill of autumn was overbearing. The road was covered with overhead branches, the leaves painted warm hues of gold, red and orange before the blue sky.

James looked to his sides at the peaceful forest and took wayward glances at each creek and stream passed. "I must admit that I have never ventured this far on my own leisure." Izabella shook her head at the mention as she had been across the country, to small villages and other cities. In the early nineteenth century she found herself exploring the Scottish lochs. Later the vampiress ventured to America and across the mainland of Europe, immersing herself in the cultures of the world and in their arts. Regardless of the fact that she could live anywhere in the world she desired, Izabella returned to her home, to London, for there was something calling her there, and so she remained.

"This is a wonderful country my dear, James, I only wish you could see it all and what it can offer." She rested a gloved hand atop his, he had found that when she was not in a place in which she was fully comfortable she always wore gloves. It was just one of the precarious little details he had noticed about her. He also noted that when she walked her right foot seemed to want to point inward and that there was a scar on the inside of her ankle. Whenever she laughed, wholeheartedly, at the corner of her youthful eyes wrinkles would form and when she slept sometimes she would murmur words without consciously realizing what was being spoken, it was never anything serious but sometimes if the Captain was awake he could not help but smile at her murmurings.

As his mind was solely focused on her it drew him back to what she was, a creature of night, though she was positively lovely in every aspect. "If you do not mind such a question, will the harvest moon affect you differently?" His grip tightened on the reins as in the distance another horse and carriage came into view, traveling in the opposite direction.

"James, I am a vampire not a werewolf." He gave her a smile that seemed to ridicule himself for such a question but it remained sincere at the same time. Izabella leaned over on the seat and quickly kissed his cheek, laughing softly at the light shade of pink that rose to his face and neck. The conversation that remained followed much along the same lines as he was still very curious about vampires, and about the lady that held his heart in her delicate hands.

Izabella smiled when the steeple from the church and Old Grammar School came into view signaling that they had arrived and had done so before noon. The main street had been lined with vendors, and many tables were set up, each from a different farm or family. The horse and buggy had been parked in an open field, their reins tied to a stake among the others that had come for the festival. And in the area opposite of the field children and adults alike had gathered to play cricket. James offered the crook of his arm for Belle to take and she did, but at seeing something to catch his attention he smiled, kissing her cheek before running off into the growing crowd.

The vampiress picked up an apple and examined the spotless skin that was the same shade as blood almost, the fruit was firm and fragrant. Her own apples were not ready to be harvested, but they would not make a good wine or brandy. "James!" Izabella scolded the Captain when his arms wrapped around her waist, nearly scaring her from her skin. The old couple running one of the booths of fresh produce looked at her and James with an amused smile. "How much for a bushel of Jonagolds?"