Chapter Three

"When you separate an entwined particle and you move both parts away from the other, even at opposite ends of the universe, if you alter or affect one, the other will be identically altered or affected." 

The Brighton Estate, London; April 17, 1913.

The ladies of the town gathered at the estate, it was the annual tea in which Izabella opened her home to guests, which were mainly the young dames and ladies that sought to socialize with their mysterious host. Such activities were an act of goodwill, and perhaps to ease the suspicion that may have surrounded her, but the parlor and dining room was scatted with prim and properness, scones and biscuits laid out with a variety of dressings to add to the tea.

Izabella sighed, quietly joining in on some of the conversations, politely answering questions but other than that she did not necessarily enjoy the happenings that she immersed herself in. In fact, she loathed it. Tutti scuttled along pouring tea and aiding the guests in whatever way they could demand of her but ignoring the wishes for refills in the moment she came to the head of the table, a large smile on her face. "Miss, Captain Nicholls is here to see you." The maid spoke lowly and Belle's eyes widened and naturally the ladies grew curious but Tutti assured her that the guests would be dealt with properly and without hesitation she stole away.

Smoothing down the skirt of her dress slipped out of the scullery door before making her way around the house if only to keep her nosy attendants out of her personal business, as a last minute thought, she shed the pale green gloves and continued on. His back was turned to her, sandy toned hair parted to one side and neatly combed. The white shirt he wore was proudly held up by his shoulders and sloppily tucked into tan trousers, the suspenders wore with the ensemble were too loose to serve their purpose but she smiled none the less. She stopped at the bushes, "James!" he turned at the call of his name and followed her around the side of the manor where she was certain none of the ladies could spy on the two as they so liked to gossip.

His eyes shone with a child-like quality of mischief, his brows raised in silent questioning. "It's my annual tea party, though this year I was positively drowning in boredom." James's laugh was soft, and it caressed her skin in a way that made her shiver. "The Duchess of York seems to think that my success here is because of witchcraft, can you believe such a thing?" Her voice was exasperated, but quiet, as if this was all very secretive, vaguely she could feel the moisture from the ground seeping through the fabric of her gown at the knees but that hardly registered.

"What an absurd thing to say," she smiled at his light form of teasing. "Those fairy scamps have not had a hold of you lately have they?" This time she shook her head, a coy smile on her painted lips, for a short moment she thought about kissing him, but alas, that would surely leave a terrible impression on her person. She was a lady, and she had to act the part no matter how taken she was with this young Captain, no matter how often she thought about sinking her fangs in to his neck. She sighed whilst James looked up at the window above their heads, the floorboards creaking.

Rummaging in the kitchen near where they stood prompted alarm within Belle. "Ride with me?" She hardly gave him time to answer before she had his hand in hers, racing to the stables. She abruptly halted in her tracks and the young Captain nearly knocked into her back but he kept his distance and determinedly she tossed a saddle on the back of a palomino steed, hooves stamping into the ground excitedly at the revelation and with haste she kicked off the dainty heels and slipped her feet into older work boots before hiking up the skirt of her dress and mounting. "Atta boy, Glaurung." Her voice was a hypnotic whisper as she patted the beast's neck then held her hand out to James. He hesitated for a moment, assuming that he would have his own horse to ride but the thought of being so close to her made his heart race, a thrill of excitement shooting through his body.