14

"They're breaking up the team." Johnny said, entering the room where Ben, Jackie and Alicia is. "Reed and Sue, I overheard them. Them want a nice, normal, boring-ass life." He said, wrapping his arm around Jackie shoulders to calm himself down. "No more Fantastic Five."

"Well, what do we do?" Ben asked, standing up. "Keep going, just the three of us?"

"And call ourselves what? The Dynamic Trio?" Johnny said, more grateful than ever that he could touch Jackie without switching powers.

"When were they gonna tell us?" Ben asked.

"They'll tell you when they're ready." Alicia said, gaining the three attention. "It's their decision, not yours. You can't be mad at them for doing what makes them happy. I'm sure Jackie would do the same thing."

"Not until I help my brother." Jackie said, turning around when he heard footsteps behind him.

"Guys." Reed said, looking at the twins with confusion on his face before going back to what he was going to say. "We've got a serious problem."

• • •

"I cross-referenced the Surfer's radiation through every astronomical database." Reed said, looking at the screen. "Altair 7, Rigel 3, Vega 6."

"He's been to all these planets?" Jackie asked.

"And now they're lifeless." Reed answered. "Barren. Some even shattered. Everywhere the Surfer goes, eight days later, the planet dies."

"How are we gonna stop him? We don't even know where he is."

"What about the craters?" Sue asked, looking up at Reed.

"They appear in a numerical sequence." Reed said, clicking away on the buttons. "The last crater was formed in Greenland... so the next in the sequence should be... latitude 51 degrees, 30 minutes north... longitude zero degrees seven minutes west."

• • •

"When he surfaces, move the fight away from the crowd." Reed said, looking out the helicopter window at Jackie who is flying besides the helicopter, but he knows that Jackie can hear them clearly if they were to talk.

"He's too fast to contain. When I see silver, I'm hitting him!" Johnny exclaimed, sitting in the front seat.

"You can't do that. We stick to the plan and work as a team." Reed said, shaking his head.

"Oh, we're a team now? News to me." Johnny said, voice filled with sarcasm.

"What are you talking about?"

"You know what." Johnny said.

"We were gonna tell you."

"When? When you moved our stuff out?" Johnny asked, turning his head to look behind him.

"Johnny, this isn't a good time."

"Kid's got a point, Reed. You should have told us." Ben added to Johnny defense.

"That's enough! We'll talk about this later." Reed exclaimed, looking to Jackie who's head is turned away from them, instead he's looking at the whirlpool.

Jackie lands on the ground, watching as the helicopter lands behind him.

"Jackie you will be our emergency." Reed said, patting Jackie's shoulder when he passed the boy.