Chapter 31. The Kiss of Infection

The gleam in his eyes was helplessly flickering and was dying to succumb. The horror of the redness upon the corner of his lips made him writhe in pain. The scarlet stains of his body were concealed by his long, thick robes. The progress of the sharp pains and dizziness were barely tolerable but he still managed to crawl up to his desk in hopes of finding a potion that will help him ease the pain.

The Dark Lord was furious at him and he knows exactly how the Monster works. His fetishism with torture and anguish made it more difficult to handle especially when a certain mad witch alongside him, incited him to make greater damage to himself. He and Bellatrix Lestrange always had a toil because the witch despised competition and desired to be the closest and most trusted follower of Lord Voldemort, but the snake man himself favours him even without exerting much effort.
But after his ascendance, the Dark Lord seemed to be suspicious of everyone in his inner circle due to the fact that nobody bothered to find him a way to return, except some select few.

There was no light emanating from his office for he couldn't bring himself to move. Every subtle movement he made would make him feel that his next move will be his last. Every time his eyes were teasing him to drift close, he urged to fight it and he only put his faith toward the frame on his desk.

Her genuine smile, her flaming red hair and her twinkling eyes. He can't possibly fail her. It was his fault why she left this world. It was his fault why she left him. He had already failed her in every manner, he couldn't fail her now.

He felt the world was falling in a complete dire, but his eyes fought to be awake and alert. His whole body was shaking violently now, the red pool of his blood painting the floor where he was laid. He couldn't manage to utter a single word, his voice was betraying him. He was unable to see properly aside from his blurring eyesight for his hair was splayed in a ruined mess. Fat drops of sweat and tears sparkled his handsome yet ashen face.

The potion bottle fell from his grasp and he couldn't bring himself to move as he watched the vial shatter into smithereens. The liquid glowed together with the tiny glass particles as his head completely hit the floor. His saliva mixed with blood sneaked its way out his mouth. His breathing was growing slow and non-existent. He was certain it was his last moment of living and any minute he will embrace the final enemy: death.

He smiled to himself as a tear trickled off his left eye and blurted a word which sounded like a breathless whisper as he looked at the frame one more time.

"Lily."

Everything in him was dissolving and he could feel a certain numbness that was taking over him when the most bizarre thing happened.

A warm, soft hand caressed his cheek and wiped the littered drops of water in his face. Her other hand tried to staunch the blood on his abdomen and he closed his eyes as he relished the feeling of her hand touching him.

"I am here now. You have to help me. You have to stand."

That voice. He could never believe his ears but when he turned to face her, more tears fell from his dying eyes. "How? How are you back? My love, I've missed you so much. You do not know how much pain I felt the day I lost you."

His voice was barely back, but just the sight of her brought some strength back inside him. She held his hand and poured the contents of a new set of potions to assure his survival. But he knew her presence alone made him feel alive and well again. She was the only person that mattered.

His heart was thumping with joy when she placed him to his own bed and slowly stroked his hair in an affectionate way. He was starting to feel better upon taking the necessary potions which cured him but the way she lovingly attended to his wounds and healed them felt so heavenly pure and divine.

He was resting on her lap and he couldn't be more happier and content. He closed his eyes and surrendered everything to the woman beside him. This was exactly what he had hoped for. To be with the woman who made his heart flutter, made his mind think of vast imaginations and made his whole body fill with energy and light. This was all he was missing in his life. Finally, he already has what he wanted.

She was startled by the way he clung to him because he was never like to this to anyone. Not that she knew. She was so happy to hold him like he was her lover and he was hers forever. She didn't understood what he meant with the words he said to her the moment she held and cured him but that was not important. He needed her. And, she needed him, too. Why should she spoil everything? She was sitting there, playing with the hair of the man her heart desired. She, also closed her eyes for a minute to make herself believe that everything that was prevailing now isn't just a dream.

Her life went out of focus as she stayed with him but she soon realised that she needed to make sure that he will take another set of potions as soon as he wakes. She discretely went out of bed when two large hands prevented her from doing what she wanted to do.

"No, don't leave me. You can't leave me. Stay with me. I love you. I love you," he was lost and broken that she couldn't bear to see his cries of agony. He wasn't asleep but just resting. She tried to escape his embrace but with no luck. He only hold her more tightly as she tried to break free. He forced her to face him and closed the gap between them by claiming her lips in a searing kiss.

The kiss was slow and passionate but his hands roughly held her small frame which kept her immobilized. She was shocked at how strong he was after he was almost dying a few hours ago and now he seemed so cogent.

But this awareness vanished ever so quickly for she couldn't deny the love and yearning as the kiss progressed. After several minutes, he hesitantly drew his face slightly for he needed a breath.

She was crying with joy because she never knew that he feels the same as she did. The world was in perfect harmony and her heart was beating wildly that it might pop out of her chest.

Not until, he said those four words which broke her and brought her back to reality that she will never be the one he wants.

"I love you, Lily."

She drew herself away from him and watched him with pain and disappointment in her eyes. He was wondering what he did wrong because she was moving farther away.

As soon the light shone before her aggravated visage, realisation struck him. It wasn't Lily. It wasn't what he thought she was. It was all a hallucination. He was a fool. She can never come back to him.

She turned away and ran away from him leaving no trace at all. As she looked up the sky, she prayed to the Creator to at least grant her peace for her mind was already in grave fiasco.

He was still and emotionless when he finally got back to his senses.

It wasn't Lily Evans. She could never be.

It was Hermione Granger.