Chapter 14. The Unexpected Confidant

The Hogwarts grounds had a certain quiet and harmonious preeminence; there was no sign of face that would probably reprimand her for being outside at this time of night. She closed her eyes for a while, for she tried to remember why she was always perturbed when the holidays are approaching.

The time was plainly eleven o'clock, but the sharp surges of wind, with a taste of dew drops in them didn't push her to go back to her dormitory.

His eyes were searching as he walked, hiding his wand under his robes in an intricate movement. He was tall and handsome in appearance, with his crinkly face averring his age, his jet-black hair flowing down his cheeks and his one-toned voice terrorizing everyone. He carried a sardonic and despotic personality which made everyone elude him.

His watchful eye got fixed to the girl seated near the Black lake, with her eyes closed, unaware that he has sighted her.

"I think it is a sin to go outside at nighttime just to feel sentimental, Miss Granger," he said and when the girl heard his voice, she panicked and got up so quickly.

"Professor Snape, forgive me. I lost track of time. I know it will be hard for you to believe me but I wasn't doing anything wrong," she said, reassuringly.

The girl faced him, her visage shone in the moonlight. The light showed a pale, heart-shaped face with keen brown eyes which displayed a slight indication of pain and hesitation.

He looked at her for a time without replying, for he expected her to explain more.

"Is there something bothering you, Miss Granger? You seem to be unfocused and feeble. I know you have a sensible reason why you are here," he asked and peered at her.

Her face revealed a peculiar, disarming look, unable to speak at that moment.

"I will accept any punishment you will give me, Sir. I know asking for forgiveness is abusing your kindness and understanding. I have repeated the same mistake and it will only degrade my sincerity," she submerged in her school robes while the man in front of her listened with interest.

"Strolling at night is a violation and spearheading a teacher's decision is another. You are initiating my decision as if I am incapable. I did not say I will punish you," he said while glaring at her.

"I am sorry, Sir. I didn't mean to disrespect you in any way," the sadness on her face was still the same, but his words gave her quite a shock.

"Why are you here? All of your classmates including your... little... friends are inside the castle, sleeping soundly. They are excited to go home for the holidays. You're supposed to be up there with them waiting for the splendid day to arrive."
He didn't know how he should address Harry Potter and Ronald Weasley for he always called them dunderheads, but then he wouldn't want to insult them in front of this girl.

It appeared that she was unwilling to share her problem with him and he was surprised when the girl asked her a rather strange question.

"When you were a student, did you stay here at Hogwarts during Christmas break, Sir?  I'm sorry if I asked you that. It's just, I don't feel like going home this year. Harry's going to Grimmauld Place with Ron and the Order, and I'll be going straight to my muggle home. I can't stay there," she concealed her face, embarrassed by her words. She then prepared herself from being chided by her professor.

"I stayed here at Hogwarts if that's what you want to hear. There is a spectre of hatred in my home which haunted me most of my childhood days. If there was a chance to stay here even in the vacation period, I would choose to stay and not go home." he sighed as the cool surroundings travelled into his body.