Chapter 23. Our Song

The topaz-colored pair of doleful eyes sparkled as trickle of tears fell from it. The words of the poem pummelled in her chest so desolate that she felt that her end was near. She tottered the hallway back to her dormitory and stared blankly ahead as if she was mesmerized.

What she felt was wrong. She didn't want to accept the feelings she had for him and tried to set her affections to another person. She always fancied Ron, right? He can be weird, noisy and stupid sometimes but he's also nice, caring and compassionate. She couldn't believe she would ever love someone like him. She sat on her bed and reflected on how these nasty feelings started. She never knew when how and why she felt this way. She never felt like this to anyone before.

Hope was the thing that saves her most of the time, but this time hope was nowhere to seen. He was obviously in love with someone else. She never felt so confused in her entire life. She was so happy when she was with him but now, the horrible pain she felt was interminable.

There was no way he would feel the same thing to her.

Snape walked silently back to his chambers, the paper clutched safely into his hands. He wiped the stupid tear away and remained angry with himself. He was never used to emotional breakdowns. He was in control, as always. But now, he wasn't sure why he was feeling like a sour lemon.

He sat onto his favorite chair and took the same frame he looked at every day. The same young face smiled at him and waved to him excitedly. She was wearing scarlet and golden colored raiment with a matching scarf on her neck. She looked like seventeen years old at the time that picture was taken.

He touched the glass shield which separated his hand from the picture's surface and bowed his head.

"You're wrong. She never loved me. She never will."

His whisper was meant for the female who told him to give the poem to her, his student. He wanted to tell her that the person he loved will never love him back.

They shared the same fate but they were unknowing of the predicament they were both in. Why is that... the heart always vow for the thing it can never possess? Ever.

Three days moved and the apprentice didn't visited the classroom where the Potions Master reside. Snape was startled not to find her there, not just because she missed most of her enrichment classes but he missed her presence. Her inappropriate way of questioning, her sweet but awkward smile, her serious face and her hair that smelled like a combination of four seasons rose and vanilla.

He fought the urge to see her and decided to go straight to the Black lake. He never understood what made him chose to go there since his favorite place in the castle was his chambers. No dunderheads, no annoying colleagues and no demanding Headmaster. Just him with the company of a book and glass of Firewhisky. Just that and everything feels right. But now, something was different. Something isn't right.

His eyes roamed around the lake but what took his concentration was the student he was longing to see. The girl carried an irritated expression as she sat near the tree by the lake.

Her eyes were tightly closed and she wanted to close them for a little while. If she had open them right now, she would have seen the cool lining which started to form from the skies announcing the nightfall's reign as the light of the day has fallen to its demise.

Like what he always he did whenever she was with him, he stood there barely knowing why. He didn't want to hide from her but she might be frightened if he see him there. Besides, he doesn't want her to think that he's a stalker. How juvenile would that be?

He was about to leave her in peace when he heard a faint, plaintive cry through that stiff tree.

He wished to depart already, for staying there only revives unwanted memories from his student life.

He took the courage to approach his apprentice and sat beside her. Hermione was in total shock when she him there with her.

Yeah, right! Why do the people we hate to see at the moment know the exact worst time to appear?

She swiftly stood and wiped the crinkles of her skirt and the lower part of her robes. Snape's eyes followed her and he knew his presence wasn't wanted.

He wanted to fight off the mortification but seeing her swollen eyes interrupted his ashamed feelings.

"Is there something troubling you, Ms. Granger?"

She didn't reply but just looked at him. She doesn't know what to say. His question can't be found in reference material or any resource so it wasn't that difficult to answer his question. She can just lie to him and tell him she's okay. But, no!  This person in front of her wasn't born yesterday. He wasn't that easy to fool. Her excuse will never be accepted.

"It's nothing, Sir. Just a simple problem. Who doesn't have one nowadays?"

He understood that she was trying to drop the topic and she doesn't want to talk about it. He was too eager to use Legilimency on her but he realized that he didn't want anyone to invade his privacy and that he should give this to her, too.

He noticed something that was placed on the opening of her ears. He knew what it was of course. Staying on the muggle village for so long was enough to be familiar with a pair of earbuds.

So, she was listening to some muggle music.

She has seen him staring at her earbuds for a time and she was sure he knows what they are. Seeing him with a hint of embarrassment on his face made her sit back beside him.

She doesn't want to see him and tried to avoid him days from now but it wasn't her fault she saw him here. And of course, seeing the Potions Master in a humiliated state is not something you can see everyday. He's usually full of confidence. And that's one of the things she love about him. His strong personality.

"I don't know if you heard this song already but I want you to listen to it, Sir. Only if you want to."

She watched him as he took the earbud from her hand and place it into his ear.

It wasn't a catchy tune, not even a classic song. It was more like a soft lullaby...

All those days watching from the window
All those days outside looking in
All that time, never even knowing
Just how blind I've been

It was soft and relaxing and almost hypnotic.
He was certain he had listened to this song before. But listening to the song with her made it seem more magical.

She looked into his eyes again and hoped the song won't ever end. This was like a dream. A wonderful dream. She knew her love for him has no future but who cares? She just wanted to live in the moment until it lasts. She might never have the chance to do this with him again. If this was the rearmost end, she'd be happy to accept it.

The song finally ended and she knew even though the night is young, she has to go back.

"It was beautiful."

If he only he meant she was beautiful and not the song, she would have been the most blessed and happiest girl in the world. Too bad, it was only the song.

"I would be very glad to call this song as our song, Ms. Granger. It was indeed, congenial and very pleasing."

She smiled at him for the first time that night. She almost laughed at the thought. They have a song. A song that will remind them of each other. Yes, their own song.

Maybe for some it was just a random song from a fairy tale movie, but for them, it was more than that. So much more, in fact.