f i v e

Ghost felt his shoulders lift when he saw your husband driving away, and he would gladly accept the opportunity to spend some time with you.

An excuse was all he needed...

He scoffed at his own idea, but although it might be a little humiliating for him, at least you would let him into the house.

He waited for another thirty minutes, gathering some intel on his actual target, before brushing his teeth and making his way to your house.

Professional as he was, he put in a small earbud that was conveniently hidden by his balaclava, connected to the bugs on the target's house. Multitasking.

When you opened the door for him, he froze. You looked so compellingly beautiful, like always, but there was a shimmer in your eyes that hadn't been there before.

"Oh hey, Ghost!"

And that genuine smile every time you looked at him, like rays of sunshine piercing through the coldness in his heart.

He cleared his throat before he spoke.

"Hi. I hope I'm not disturbing."

Of course you wouldn't lie to him, but you didn't want to sound too desperate and pathetic either. The truth was that you had obviously nothing on your plate, except binge watching a show you have already seen twice on Netflix.

Still, you pretended to think for a few seconds before answering.

"No, don't worry!"

"How's your hand doing?", he asked, and you looked at the still relatively clean bandage.

"Sometimes it's throbbing, but I'll cope. Do you need anything?"

"I need you", he said then, the amused smirk on his face barely hiding that the phrase was chosen very purposefully.

Your eyes widened slightly, Ghost would have missed it if he wasn't observing your face like an addict, and your cheeks turned a pretty shade of pink.

That's also what the shimmer in your eyes was, you looked livelier, he thought.

He decided to not destroy that new spark by playing too many games with you.

"Your help, to be more precise."

You visibly released a breath you had been holding and mouthed an 'oh'. He really got you there for a second.

"Sure, what is it?"

"It's a little embarrassing. Since I moved in, I've been so stressed that I didn't manage to get a proper meal. Takeout did the job until you gave me something better."

You smiled at the compliment.

"What are we gonna do about that then?", you asked with an amused undertone, looking up at him through your lashes.

It was unreal how big the urge was to just push his lips onto yours until you were all he could think about, but that would backfire, so he didn't.

"Cook for me", he said instead, "please."

You gnawed on the inside of your cheek to suppress a delighted, wide smirk. You weren't as inhibited as yesterday to let him into the house.

He could keep you company, someone would finally appreciate your cooking again and it was a nice opportunity to talk to someone who wasn't almost triple your age.

"Well, I have two pieces of T-Bone that need using up, so..."

His eyes lit up at the mention of the fine steak and you held open the door for him with a smile, telling him to come inside.