Chapter 25 - A Lifetime of Time

I said goodbye to Lena at the airport, as I was getting on a plane back home to the Netherlands and she was going to Germany. It was time we started to prepare for the Euros. It was the most important event of the calendar year, and we both had hopes and dreams. I wanted to win; she wanted to win.

"I'll see you in England," I said to her, as she held my hand. She was about to get on her plane, whereas I had a few more hours to wait.

"I'll see you there."

"I love you." I looked at her, smiling softly, as our eyes caught each other's. There was something so comforting about her, and I knew that everything in life was better. She made it better.

"I love you too." She leaned down kissing me softly, and even her touch ignited something so deep inside me.

"Text me when you land," I said to her as she started to break away. She soon walked down the tunnel and even though I knew I'd see her soon, the next few weeks were going to be tough, without the girl who made everything feel better.

I arrived back home in the Netherlands and headed straight into camp. We were preparing for our friendly against Norway before the start of the tournament. I headed straight to my hotel room, needing to change as the plane clothes started to stick to my skin.

After my quick shower, I heard two knocks at my door.

"It's me," I heard a voice say, and once I looked through the peephole, it was Jill.

"Hi," I said to her, as she walked in. I had just changed into some comfy clothes as we weren't going to start training until the following day.

"How was New York?" she asked, lying on my bed as I started to blow dry my hair. I told her all about the city. I told her about the speech and the days spent with Lena. She was smiling the entire time, so entranced by my stories.

"But how are you?" I then asked, after a little while.

"Fine. Elke went home," she said, out of the blue.

"As in, to Australia?" I confirmed.

"Yeah."

"I thought she didn't.."

"She had a wedding, apparently. For someone in her family. She didn't say much" I looked at Jill, but nothing really printed on her face. No confusion, or worried look. I quickly grabbed my phone, scrolling on Instagram until I found the photo. I hadn't looked properly until I saw it. Until I couldn't unsee it.

Tippsjonesy: syd with the best @leahwilliamsonn. Oh and Finn & Jem's wedding was pretty sick too ;)

There she was. In the fourth photo. Elke.

"Jill, did you know?" I asked her, shoving the phone towards her. She analyzed the photo, before giving it back.

"Did I know that Elke and Tippah Jones were siblings? Yes. I did."

"I- that is so unexpected."

"Yeah, it was for me too."

"I have so many questions," I laughed, still startled.

"She'll answer them for you, next time you see her." I nodded my head before looking back at the photo of Elke, Tippah, and their siblings. It was easy to tell that they were all related. Tippah looked like her two older sisters; their red hair was the same. But Elke looked like her brother, both with shaggy brown locks and rounded cheeks. "But, Milly, keep in mind, no one knows yet. About me and her."

"Don't worry. I haven't told a soul." She smiled at me, and I was telling the truth. I hadn't said anything. It was a secret I was proud of keeping.

We trained over the next few days, and being back with the national team is always exciting. Playing with the girls who speak my language, and know my style is so calming. The connection I have to my fellow Dutch teammates will always be unmatched. Jill and I have the ball on a string, Daan can find me wherever on the pitch, Jackie always has the best passes, and Viv will score on almost any cross. I loved them. I loved us.