11

RILEY

RILEY

I open the door to my house as quietly as possible, so that I don't wake anyone up

It's about ten o'clock at night, so, it would be safe to assume everyone in my house is asleep right now.

As I'm walking in the front door...

I come face to face with my father. I already have a feeling this won't be a good interaction, and the words that come out of his mouth prove that conclusion.

"Where have you been?"

I don't say anything because I know no matter what I say, it won't help the situation.

"Answer me, boy!" He yells.

"I-" I try to speak.

Then he shoves me against the front door.

"You speak when you are spoken to!" He spits hatefully. "Now go to your room! And don't leave it!"

I take a deep breath, holding back my emotions. I storm past my father and up the stairs to my bedroom.

I immediately close the door and slide against it, holding my head in my hands.

Then, I hear my mother.

"What the fuck is wrong with you, James! Don't you think you've caused our son enough pain? You should be ashamed of yourself!"

"Yeah, fuck you Joyce!" My father yells back at her. 

I decide to move to my bed and start drawing in my sketchbook to distract myself.

"I'm going upstairs to check on him and if you even put one scratch on him!—"

I hear my mom as she's coming up the stairs now.

She knocks and cracks open the door to my bedroom.

"Hey, sweetie, it's me. Can I come in?"

I close my sketchbook and then reply, "Yeah, come in."

She walks in and sits beside me on my bed. She then gently grabs my face and examines it.