03

RILEY

RILEY

"Hi! I'm Dylan Mayfield

"Hi! I'm Dylan Mayfield. I don't think we've met."

I smile back at the redhead girl, who just told me her name. Dylan.

"I'm Riley."

I know. I know. But I don't know what else to say. I don't want to make an idiot out of myself in front of her. She starts talking to Jamie. They seem like close friends. Why has Jamie never introduced us? Weird.

I catch myself staring at Dylan. I don't know why.

There is one problem that I have... I still have to tell Heather that I don't like her. I have to tell her, right?

This sucks.

She's definitely not going to be happy when I tell her.

The bell rings to go to class. I walk with Jamie.

Molly and Kirrie walk with Dylan.

I try to pull my gaze off of her as Jamie and I go to class and they go to theirs.

I sit in the middle of the first row. Then I see Heather. I have to tell her now or things will get really messy.

She will make things really messy. And I don't want that, obviously.

I take the stupid love note out of my backpack and walk over to Heather, who is sitting at her desk. I slam the love note on the desk.

"Heather... I don't like you."

Everyone stares at us. Then they start whispering and laughing.

"Oooh! Boom! Roasted!" One boy yells.

More people start laughing. Heather looks really upset right now. Like she might... cry.

Oh no. This can't be happening. Not to me. Not the crying. I won't be able to handle it.

Instead of crying though, she huffs and glares at me.

"You'll pay for that."