02

DYLAN

DYLAN

It has been two years since my parents died

It has been two years since my parents died. Two years since our family friend adopted me and my sisters.

I still wake up every morning and miss my parents. That will probably never change.

It's around seven in the morning. I'm wide awake, staring at the ceiling of my bedroom. I look at the pink princess clock on my bedside table.

Jeez...

Ten minutes have already passed.

"Dylan! Come on dear, your bacon and eggs are going to get cold!"

And that would be Jessica, my mom's best friend who adopted me and my sisters. She's really sweet and takes good care of us.

I slowly get out of my bed and walk into the kitchen, the smell of bacon filling the air.

"Well nice of you to join us, sleepy head!" Jessica says, messing up my hair by ruffling it. Well, messing it up even more than it is already.

I smile a bit as she hands me my plate. I eat the bacon and eggs quickly. As soon as I finish eating, I jump from the barstool and walk to the bathroom to get ready.

I look in the mirror as I brush my long red hair. I quickly look away as I finish brushing my hair. I dig through the drawers, looking for...

Found them!

I put a purple butterfly clip in one corner of my hair and then a blue one in the other corner. I then brush my teeth.

I go to my room to pick out an outfit and put it on. I pick out a blue long sleeve shirt and a green t-shirt to go over it. I also put on some flare jeans and Converses.

I grab my backpack and walk out the door. I prefer to walk to school. It helps me clear my head. I don't really care that it's raining outside.

It's my first day of fifth grade and I'm super nervous about it. I try to clear my wandering mind. I take a deep breath.