Physical

I woke up to my alarm blaring in my ears. An 80s station was playing.

I went through my routine, happy that my schedule was finally becoming more busy.

I smiled and gave myself a wink in the mirror.

I set off to the dojo early for training with Johnny.

I walked into the dojo, not seeing Johnny. I heard grunting sounds coming from somewhere. Maybe he's in his office.
I followed the sound to the back room which looked like a garage.
I walked closer to find Johnny dragging a big tire on a chain from one side of the room to the other.

Guns n Roses was playing.

When he got to the other side, he put down the chain and tire, and was surprised to see me.

"Hey." He nodded to me, grabbing a towel.

"Morning, Sensei." I smiled

"You ready to train?"

"I'm ready."

"Good. Warm up quick, you're gonna be pulling this tire."

I look at the massive tire and chain and look at how small I am in comparison.

"Me?"

"Yeah. What, you scared?"

"N-no. Excited actually."

"Really?" he looked unconvinced.

"What else does a girl want besides pulling a big tire?"

He raised an eyebrow at me.

"I'm gonna stretch over there." I awkwardly smiled.

"Good call."

I started to stretch in the dojo, getting warmed up and ready for my training. After a few minutes, Johnny put a cassette in his boombox.

"Alright Y/L/N lets go!"

I went to the back room and nervously picked up the chain attached to the tire.

"Remember what I said about striking first." He said. He was so close to me, and so much taller than me.

"Yes Sensei." My eyes quickly travelled from his eyes down to his lips back up to his eyes.

He cleared his throat and took a step back, turning up the music.

I snapped out of my thoughts and started to pull the tire. It was so heavy and physically taxing after a few rounds. Johnny had been encouraging enough, but there was something I wanted from him that motivated me more. Maybe if he saw me as strong, he might see me in a new light.

I pushed myself to keep pulling the tire until my arms and legs gave out.

Sighing I dropped to the floor slowly to my hands and knees.

"What, you give up in a fight? Is that how they do it in Alabama?"

"Oklahoma..." I grunted

"Quitting's for pussies! Try again."

I groaned, gathering myself up and grabbing the chain. I pulled the tire four times back and forth until Johnny stopped me.

"Hold on." he said.

He took the chain off of the tire and threw it to the side.

"Alright, try flipping the tire from the bottom up, like this." He said as he flipped the tire. I guess I could kiss my cheap manicure goodbye.

I flipped the tire several times with Johnny's coaching for the duration, while it wasn't all positive reinforcement, and rather just reiterating that quitting is for "pussies", it did keep me moving.