Hungry Eyes

Today was my first day of private training with Johnny

Today was my first day of private training with Johnny. I was a little nervous. Especially because the attention would be on me. One on one. Even Miguel wouldn't be there. I was feeling butterflies in my stomach, maybe it's because I'll be learning karate, something I'm still new to, or maybe its the man I'm going to be training with.

I shouldn't have these kinds of thoughts considering I'm paying him to help me with my karate.

I walked into the dojo and took off my shoes. I didn't see Johnny but I heard 80's music and a thumping sound.

I walked towards the back area and found him hitting a punching bag. Beside him was an 80s boombox playing Head Games by Foreigner.

I leaned against the wall watching him for a minute. The sun coming through one of the windows, beads of sweat dripping down his glistening shoulders, his breath getting heavy. I found myself biting my lip, trying to suppress something more.

As the song ended, he stopped and wiped the sweat from his forehead, turned off the boombox and turned around to see me.

He looked surprised, but hopefully he thought this was a good surprise.
"Where did you come from?"

"Good morning to you, Sensei." I smiled "I'm here for our training."

"Right, lets get to it. I was just warming up." He patted my shoulder and walked into the dojo.
I felt the butterflies again when he touched me. Maybe its just superficial, the only physical closeness I've had in a long time has been from my cat, Kramer.

I let out of breath, hoping I can keep composure during this session.

"Okay I want you to get into fighting stance."

I put my fists up.

"Okay move your fists here," he grabs my hands and adjusts them. I feel my cheeks get hot and my heart start to race.

"and relax your shoulders a little."

I roll back my shoulders.

"Okay good. Now you're gonna throw punches at my hands." he puts on boxing mitts.

I throw two weak punches before he stops me.

"C'mon, you're in a fight and thats how you defend yourself?"

I punch again harder.

"Better, but it needs work." He takes off the mitts and walks over to a fighting dummy and brings it over. It looked heavy but he lifted it with ease. I could see his muscles flex, and I got that feeling again.

"What you wanna do when youre fighting is go for the nose, right there." he says and demonstrates.

"and, you wanna pretend youre punching through this asshole to an asshole behind him."

I punched and still, I couldn't really shake this.

"Think about something that pisses you off, and imagine its this dummy."