1- A is for Audience

A is for Audience

It's hard to imagine another moment where I've been this excited in my life; I feel radioactive, like I'm glowing from the inside out. My heartbeat is drumming in my ears. I'm sweating already, with clammy hands and red cheeks, and I haven't even started yet.

Tonight is the night. I have to just let go and do it. I'm so full of bubbles, I think I could explode- those two words echo over and over in my head. It's time. I repeat it silently, turning it over and over in my mind. It's time, it's time, it's-

"Yahoo!"

Oh, God. I forgot Ed needed a babysitter.

Grinning, I step outside of my dressing room to see Ed come scooting down the hall. He looks like he's on a rollercoaster, hooting and catcalling as he roars up and down the corridors. I giggle as he whizzes by. Backstage hands glare as he flies past, telling him what a nuisance he's being, but I think he's adorable like this. Just like a five-year-old, only with a larger bank account.

It's hard to imagine life without him now that we're so close to one another. It's the perfect choice, bringing Ed on tour as the support act. He was ecstatic about the promotion it would give him when I told him, and all the fun that was sure to come. Of course, I knew, when I invited him on tour. I knew what I was in for, and yet I still went out and did it. That's either blind friendship, or just straightout stupidity.

"Ed, you're on in ten," I laugh breathlessly as Ed crashes against a wall and collapses into a heap, scooter tossed aside. He staggers up, wearing a huge goofy grin, and picks up the scooter before dragging it into his dressing room.

He pops his head back out of the door, smirking at me. "You think they want me? Come on, Swizzle. We both know they'll just be pissed off if they see Ron Weasley instead of Taylor Swift."

I try not to laugh.

"Are you all ready?" I check, not wanting him to mess up this first date of the tour. I can get a little overly obsessive when it comes to having things perfect, but sometimes you have to be.

"Um, yeah. Can you come over for a minute? I just want to ask you something."

I smile and cross over to his dressing room. "Of course." I expect he's just nervous of the massive crowd. He probably wants some reassurance or something-

"Can I play a new song for you?" asks Ed hopefully, closing the door behind me.

"Oh my God." The words tumble out of my mouth. "Ten minutes, Ed! Do you realize what a dork you are?" I laugh at him, and he grins right back.

"I know, I know," he replies sheepishly. "But really... what do you say?"

"Sure," I sigh, pretending to be grumpy. "But make it quick. Like, Usain Bolt quick."

"Thanks." He scoops up his guitar from the floor, and slumps up on the bench with his back against the mirror. I see my reflection waiting curiously in the glass, staring back at me as he starts strumming.

It occurs to me that he is sharing with me his most intimate secrets right now. Every writer tucks their soul beneath their songs, and right now, Ed trusts me enough to give that little hunk of his heart away before the show. I feel like maybe this is the true meaning of friendship.

"I can see the city light,

From where I stand on the top floor,

And I'm not sure if I'm dead,

I raise my hands to the clouds,

To check if heaven is with me now,

Cos the devil's in my bed..."