4- D is for Duet

We keep up with the blurring cars, running on full stomachs, laughing underneath the sunlight. Nobody sees our faces as we sprint through the crowds. My wavy hair streams out behind me in a long blonde curtain. The wind burns my eyes. I am happy.

Ed and I are going to be late for soundcheck. We ate too much pizza and drank too much coffee and laughed too hard and let the time slip by too quickly. It was quarter to one by the time we were ready to go, and then we realized and started running.

"Hurry up!" I yell back at Ed. Behind me, I hear his breathing grow heavier as he fights to keep up. When he catches up and runs along beside me he is grinning like the Chesire cat. As we round a corner I remember from earlier on, I grab his wrist and drag him along faster with me.

His skin is warm, his smile bright as we dash along the sunny streets. It's hot out, that one summery day in March that always makes you feel optimistic. It will probably be windy or cold or raining tomorrow, but there's always that one March day. This year, it is March 14th.

"How far to go?" Shouts Ed, rasping like his lungs are going to burst.

"I don't think much further!"

We zap around corners and down pathways and into alleyways, navigating our way through a bustling city until finally we find our way to the back entrance and zoom to the private door of the arena.

When we stop, against the wall with fiery lungs, we gasp and choke until we catch our breath at last. And then we stare at eachother and throw our heads back laughing and I realize Ed is my best friend.

We haven't known eachother a year, and maybe it's kind of soon to say something like that, but he is. He really, really is.

"That," Ed gasps, "was insane."

"Oh my God, I can't breathe," I choke out through my tears. Happy tears. I don't think I've been this happy in months.

"I wish I hadn't won that stupid pizza contest," Ed exclaims through rasping breaths. "But at least all that running burnt it off."

"Aw, Teddy, don't burn off your baby fat," I tease. "I think it's ever so hot."

Ed bites his lip, and I watch the colour seep into his chubby cheeks. He looks more embarassed than he should be, really, but I don't say anything. It was a pretty goofy comment.

"We should probably get in there," I warn. Ed nods, his cheeks still scarlet, and I swing open the backstage door and trot inside. He follows behind me a little sheepishly. Probably embarassed to be late.

"Where have you two been?" Dad is waiting beside the door with Scott, looking very curious as to what we've been doing. The two Scotts. "Ed, you look like a tomato."

I'm pretty sure this comment just makes Ed go even redder. I clap a hand over my mouth to stop myself from laughing.

"Almost late, Taylor," Scott (as in manager Scott) winks. "You're only just on time." He shows me his watch- in bright green letters, it tells me the time is exactly 12:59pm. We just nicked it, so close that as he shows me his watch, I see the numbers tick over to 1:00pm.

"I guess everyone else is ready," I say. Dad nods.

"I'll tell the crew now. Get out there, Taylor."

So I go out there and I drag myself through soundcheck again, another rehearsal show I'll only have to do again tomorrow. And the next day. And almost every day for the next year.

I don't mind soundcheck, it's just like another show that's broken down to me alone in an empty, deserted arena. I always try my best in each soundcheck, like I would at each show, but I think maybe I thrive off the fans. I thrive off the adrenaline of the crowd, the screaming, the singing, the applause. I can't breathe without that thrill and that excitement. It's the best part of every concert.