22- V is for Violets

I frantically run my fingers through my hair wildly, praying that I look alright as Selena tightens my diamond necklace around my throat. She turns to grin at me as I iron my dress out with my hands, silently panicking. This is really my wedding day. This is insane. I fiddle with the diamonds around my neck, watching them shimmer in the sunlight, and then Abigail grins at me as she hands over my beautiful bunch of bluebells. I stare at their droopy sapphire petals, thoughts swarming around my head like crazed bees.

"Don't worry," smiles Liz as she rests her hand on my shoulder. "You'll be fine."

I pull a worried face and grab her by the shoulders, shaking her vioently. I'm not trying to be nasty, I'm just panicking.

"This is crazy, Liz! I'm getting married! What if something goes wrong?" I exclaim. Liz' eyes widen and she staggers backwards as I gaze at the ground apologetically.

"Sorry. I'm just so nervous, and... I feel awful..."

"It's alright, I understand," Liz nods as she irons out her dress with her hands. It's a sweet frilly frock with a puffy knee-length skirt and a pink petticoat underneath, all tied together with a tight candy-coloured band around her waist. She looks stunning.

"I've never seen you so nervous! Not even at your first concert," laughs Abigail, and I smile weakly as I hug her tight. The photographer, Maxxon, starts snapping photos of us all together. He arranges us into formal positions together, posing with bouquets of my droopy bluebells- my favourites. We grin and force laughter until it's all real, smiling our faces off right up to the moment Maxxon declares it's time to get in the car and go to the chapel. Again, the shock hits me in the stomach like a sucker punch, knocking me completely breathless. I'm getting married. Ohmygodohmygodohmyfreakinggod.

Selena, Liz and Abigail pick up the trail of my flawless dress and Maxxon guides us up the path of the house we're borrowing for this weekend, leading us to my beautiful wedding car. It's a sleek white convertible with shiny metal and plush black seats- Liz opens the door for me cheerily as I gasp, taking it all in before I slouch into the luscious ebony sofa seats. The sun burns down onto my shoulders as it melts the rest of this morning's snow blanket, and I feel Abigail's skin on mine as she slides into the seat on my left, Selena on my right. Maxxon slumps into the front seat and Liz takes the wheel, slowly firing up the convertible.

"Excited?" Asks Selena, enthusiasm plastered all over her face. I somehow manage to drag up a smile and nod at her, even though worry is creeping up all over my skin. If this goes wrong my life is over.

"Nervous," she laughs, and I nod vigorously as we begin to pull out of the park. The car lurches backwards- Liz titters in embarassment and apologises immediately- then the wheels smoothly carry us along the weaving road. With every movement the car makes, my heart pounds louder and faster and harder against my ribcage until I'm certain I'm going to explode.

"I'm so excited!" squeals Abigail, and I nervously laugh as she grins at me. "Really! We're both twenty-four, and just under ten years ago, I met you. You fell in love with a taken boy called Drew, I fell for that boy in science class who broke my heart, we never believed we'd ever find love after that. Yet here we are, still best friends, and I'm engaged, you're getting married! Sounds weird, I know, but I love you Tay." She throws her arms around my neck and hugs me tight, happy tears glistening in her eyes. I choke back my sobs and hug her back until Selena joins in, and we're all enveloped in one giant friendship hug.

Liz and Maxxon chuckle from the front seat, and Liz rolls her eyes. "Having fun guys?"

"Absolutely," I manage to choke out through the threats of joyful tears. Selena and Abigail sit back, on the verge of crying too.