Chapter 28

It was not enough of a warning. If felt like everything around us slowed down and I watched as a long silver piece of metal began protruding through Mavericks left arm. It did not bleed. All of us were shocked, eyes wide open as if all our brains had shut off at the same time. Maverick fell to the floor and Shaki instantly came to his aid. She placed her hands over him and a flame appeared as she began to heal his injury. I looked up and saw what I dreaded. I had hoped he had escaped. Fredrick. And he looked angry. I went to pick up my Guandao but the ground was soaked with water where it once was. I looked over towards Maverick who was still not moving and Shaki was frantically trying to revive him. I was wrong, it was not through his arm but his chest, his heart. I looked at Shaki who was now crying as Ether poured out of her into Maverick's wound. I did not know what to do. My friend might die and no one could do anything about it.

 It angered me. I felt my eyes become red and a wave of energy came over me. Without thinking I rushed at the silver dragon and slammed into him which bowled him over. He fell a few feet in front of me. He instantaneously stood up then flew at me and we locked hands. I could feel Fredrick's crushing power, but my anger seemed to be giving me power as well and I noticed cracks were beginning to form in the outer metal shell of Fredrick's silver dragon form. I let go of Fredrick's hands and ducked down, sending a powerful haymaker to his right side, a hook to his left side and then a flying knee towards his face. The silver dragon fell back, and the metal shell fell off him. The attack revealed a Black skinned Dragon covered in yellow streaks. My anger left in that moment and I returned to normal. Fredrick only stood up and grinned.

"So, you are a Pariah as well. You are not human. I would love to study such a specimen," Fredrick cried as he laughed feverishly.

"What's with you freaks and wanting to study me? How about you study these fists?" I spat.

I knew provoking him was a bad idea, but my adrenaline was still pumping, and I hoped someone else would jump in now that the metal shell was broken. And lucky for me someone did as his wings brushed my face and he flew forward, landing in front of me. He looked different. Much bulkier with smaller wings. They looked wider and not as elongated. Earlier just one wing was at least fifteen feet long, now they only looked to be about ten. I stood their confused. Wondering what kind of bat, he might be. Antonio turned towards me and looked at me for only a moment. His appearance caused my very spine to shiver. My whole body froze. He turned his head again and I teleported over to my friends. It took me a minute to realize what had just happened then I turned to Maverick who seemed to be doing much better. His wound was now healed and he was sitting up still nursing his left rib.

"I tried to heal him as much as I could. It looks like he may need some bandages for his broken ribs, but his heart should be as good as new," Shaki said exhausted.

"It's ok. I have already covered my ribs with ice and reformed the bones. It should heal quickly. Maybe three days if not four," Maverick replied as he grimaced.

I looked towards Carlos who was still staring in the direction of the two-hostile pariah. I looked to where Carlos was looking and noticed blood over both their bodies. Both bat and Dragon were going at it. Tooth to claw, scales to flesh. They fought harder than anything I had ever seen before.

"Antonio said he does not like using this form because he loses control," Carlos said calmly.

"I know. I am a little worried," Shaki replied.

"Why? Ouch? Why do you say that?" Maverick asked as he winced in pain.

"That is a vampire bat. And we do not want to be around if he begins to see us as food and not friends," Shaki replied.

I shivered. That was where I had remembered it. These bats were in my book of natural history of flying creatures. They were known for feeding on the blood of other animals, but they were not known to live any place close to us. They were known to live further down south. I had never ventured down there and did not plan to. I watched as the dragon swung its tail in a curving downwards arc, its body spinning and aimed at Antonio. It connected. The large bat fell fast from the sky and hit the ground hard sending tremors through the ground beneath my feet. The attack did not seem to damage Antonio much as he just shook it off, spread his large black wings and flew up towards his target.