Chapter 25

I woke up again, still in the vehicle, as we entered the university gates. 4536 was driving this time and my friends were now resting near me. I sat up and dragged myself into the seat next to my machine. I watched the Pariah officials as they walked past us, moving away from the university and towards the city, most likely for patrol. We were headed towards the central part of campus and would soon find ourselves in front of the Dean. I knew we needed to figure out a story before they asked us what had happened at the facility.

 I was sure they already knew something might be wrong. I turned my attention towards Carlos, and reached out to nudge him to wake up. I knew he would be tired after yesterday, but it was better that I spoke to him than 4536. I know my machine would not understand empathy. I needed to speak to someone who could understand. It would have been better that I had died than to kill those human contraptions. They deserved to live and if there was a way to save them, they should have been given that chance.

"Yes, Jared..?" Carlos, said as he rubbed sleep from his eyes and sat up.

"Sorry for waking you up from your sleep. I wanted to ask you something," I stated.

"I am guessing you wanted to talk about yesterday?" Carlos responded.

"Yes," I replied soberly.

"Jared! Do not blame yourself for what happened. It isn't your fault," Carlos said as he lay back down.

"Then whose fault is it?!" I whispered urgently.

"Jared..." Carlos replied softly as Maverick and Shaki began to stir.

"What's the problem now?" Shaki asked.

"I was having a cold sleep, hermano. Why wake me up?" Maverick said, confused.

"Sorry, mi amigos. I was not trying to wake you up. Just upset about something," I answered.

"The human is upset for killing all those scientists, the cyborg-humans that did not deserve such a horrible death and splitting the owl's wings. He won't fly again, that's for sure!" 4536 replied excitedly.

"I should have cut you in half, you stupid machine!" I yelled.

"Always with the violence. You humans and your fascination with killing and death!" 4536 replied as he pulled into the elevator shaft to head down towards our new home. "I will put this vehicle on auto-pilot to take us the rest of the way while I rest for the time being. Good night."

"Buenos noches, 4536," Maverick replied.

"Listen, guys!" I said. "I just feel guilty about what happened."

"I understand. But it was not completely your fault. You were not in complete control. We could not do anything about it either. We would have never thought all of that would be part of your power," Carlos replied.

"Hermano! No one is upset with you. Sometimes things happen when you do not have full control of your powers yet. And we understand that it is difficult for you. I just wish your powers were mine so I could kick some Behemoth butt," Maverick said with a smile.

"So just suck it up and stop complaining. We don't have time for that!" Shaki said as she lay back down and closed her eyes.

"You always keep it 100, Shaki," I responded.

"Someone has to," Shaki replied with a grin.

I just smiled and turned my face towards the road as we began to move slowly up towards the house, its gates slowly opening. The car parked in front of the house and everyone stepped out. My friends immediately went to their beds, but I decided to stay up. It was not late, but I could tell that they were tired. I looked out the window as 4536, or the part of his consciousness that was still awake, drove the purple hover-vehicle to wherever it was supposed to go behind the house. It would need time to charge again. It lasted today, but it would need a better energy unit.