Chapter 8

I woke up the next day, thinking about what the Dean had said to me. I knew I needed to impress him. I needed to become an official, but at what cost? Would I need to push my own morals aside for the sake of my father? To save myself? I was in a dilemma. I was not sure what to do.

"You are finally awake, human."

"Good morning 4536," I said less than enthusiastically.

"I have a question for you and since you are awake and there is no one around, I thought it was best to ask it now."

"What machine?" I growled.

"I am not in the mood currently to enjoy tormenting you. That shall wait, human. My only question is how did you open those portals without powers?"

"You just asked me how I opened a portal and I do not have powers. What kind of idiotic question is that?" I mumbled.

"Quiet, human! My intention is not to wake the building so that they may hear your idiotic fable."

"Just leave me alone right now," I cried.

"Alright then. We will have this conversation later. I will let you know however that I have noticed something peculiar about your anatomy. If it were my choice, I would cut you open to explore further. But we shall see what may come about."

"You are sick," I mumbled as I gave the robot the side eye.

"I have recently applied an antivirus to my program and found no illness, human, so your hypothesis is incorrect."

I closed my eyes again and fell asleep. When I woke up, it was already around noon. I overslept. I was supposed to go food shopping and prepare for my return home. It was already a holiday and I needed warm clothing to bring back for my father and myself. He would be surprised. We were not used to such luxuries. I got up out of my bed but 4536 did not come down from the ceiling.

It was currently interfacing with its system; it was a relief. I wanted to have a day, a week, or even a month without that machine tormenting me. It brought a smile to my face. Another machine entered my room and began cleaning. After that machine had finished, I got dressed, ran downstairs and bumped into Maverick who was near the sliding glass doors that led to the outside. He was speaking to an official.

"Hola, Hermano. ¿Cómo estás?" Maverick asked.

"Bien, gracias. Y tú?" I replied.

"Bien, gracias," Maverick said with a smile. "Where are you headed off too?"

"I was going to buy some clothes for me and my dad. It is cold up there this time of year and I just want to make sure my father is ok before I come back for the holidays," I replied.

"Hermano. You do not know what it is like to be cold."

"Ha ha ha! Maverick, I really do not. You would know all about that. I'll call for you guys when I get back though," I said as I waved goodbye.

I came outside and placed a metal card in a slot on the ground. I could hear a few grinding noises and humming, and the floor opened. My bike rose from out of the ground and I quickly jumped on. I still had my guandaos on me just in case I came across any upset officials, although I knew there was not much I could do against the likes of Malich. The businesses that I was planning on going to were not far from my house.

Typically, it was a twenty minute ride on my motorcycle, but I decided to take a more scenic route. One that was not on the underground highway. The roads were well paved, unlike the ones near my father's house which were covered in dirt. I was glad they had changed my bike for these roads, but it would be a struggle using them on the dirt roads near my home. This bike was not made for such difficult terrain. Or, so I thought. I have never used a hover bike on the roads near my home. I finally found where I needed to go however.