Chapter 10 (Part 2)

"No, I did not, 4536. Great suggestion!" I replied eagerly.

"You are welcome. Well, if you do not mind, I am going to rest for some time. Perhaps you can do some more thinking and work the muscle that you have in your head. It is clear it does not get much use. Good night, human."

"Good night, trash heap," I shouted.

I woke up to a blazing, bright sun. I could tell the atmosphere outside was cool as it nipped at my windows, while white fluffs of cloud-shaped pillows danced in circles just near the windowpane. I sat up and put on some old hunting clothes my dad had laid on my bed with a bow and arrow, as well as paralyzing daggers. He had also bought a new skinning knife.  The handle was made from a thick leather that had been doused in black ink and the steel was sharp to touch. It was unlike the other skinning knives we had that were dull from overuse. I flicked it up in the air and caught it in my palm, placing it underneath my jerkin. I quickly ran downstairs and noticed my father was not around.

"Where are you going without me, human?"

"Oh. Just who I did not want to see. How are you today, M-4536," I said sarcastically.

"Oh sarcasm. Always original. I am surprised your tiny brain could think up enough letters to form a word. It always surprises me."

"I have to go. Don't have time for this banter, machine," I replied.

"I understand. You came to a battle of wits with no weapons. Not... surprised ... indeed."

"Mayhap you can clean the other house while I am gone instead of pestering me," I growled.

"It may be beneficial if I were to bathe you human. Have you not taken a bath today?"

"I will. After I go hunting," I replied hastily as I put on a warm, furry hat.

"Well, seeing that I am a machine in your care, it is for me to continue with you wherever you go. I will indeed follow you on this mission as well."

"Great! Always excited to know that you will be around to insult me when I do not need it," I replied hastily.

I stepped outside with my machine following close behind me. The cool air grazed upon the flat of my nose as a gust of cold air twirled around me. I wrapped my buffalo scarf tight around my neck and continued my trek towards the forest. I finally reached the treeline a short time after and found footprints in the snow. They were fresh, and they looked like that of a large elk. Too big for me to carry alone. I was only hoping to find a small deer. I started walking further east when my machine stopped me.

"Where do you think you are going, human? You did say you required a good amount of meat, correct?"

"Yes! But I am not big enough to carry the whole thing without some creature coming to claim the meal from me. I would rather not kill an animal and find a grizzly bear who finds my meal as his and sees me as dessert," I said as I looked off into the distance.

"Listen human. I can help. Although the idea of a bear picking its teeth with your scrawny bones is quite satisfying to the imagination. I do require you to live. I will help you bring the carcass home."

I looked at the machine and then back at the tracks then to the forest and shrugged my shoulders. I might as well take the chance. It took some time but I finally found an open clearing beyond the trees that the tracks had led to. I pulled out one of the arrows and fitted it to my bow string, bending down as close to the ground as I could. The bow felt comfortable in my hand. Like an old glove, it fit perfectly. It was not my favorite weapon but for today it would be useful.

I decided it best to lay low, while crawling on the floor with my bow and arrow. I tried to get as close to the herd of Elk as I could. My machine was also close to the floor and barely made a sound. I was surprised. It was as if it had done this before"What's the plan, human?"