Chapter 6

By the next morning, we had not gained much sleep, but it was enough that we could continue. Our machines fed us food pills and another pill that helps with tiredness. As long as we had rested for more than four hours, the pills would work with our bodies to keep us at peak potential for one day. We were only meant to take two in a week, as any more could possibly kill a person.

The effects were not as devastating in non-Pariah, but I did not want to take that chance. If there was a slight possibility that I gained powers during this time, I did not want to die without having created a safe place for my father. I needed to survive. I popped the pill into my mouth and wiped myself down with a cloth that was meant to clear any smells.

I then replaced my clothes with new ones that were near the books and rubbed myself down with an ointment to mask my aroma, so I smelled like trees. I passed the ointment to my comrades who did the same. If there were any beast-type Pariah, this would also help so they could not sniff us out. Some beast Pariah were exceptional in their tracking skills. Some on land, others on water - and if they were of a sub-species or a flying type, there was no way a person could hide themselves unless hidden underground from their prying eyes.

"Non-Pariah! It is already the second day and we should keep moving. By my count we have already made a good distance into the triangle, as we missed many of the officials. The other students by my estimated guess are still behind us, although a few may be ahead of us. We should also heed the warning of the Pariah capable of flight through his bat wings as he will come back for us. It is best we plan now."

"Thank you, 4536. I am guessing by your demeanour that you are not the full consciousness of yourself. Am I correct?" I asked.

"That is right, Jared. He is resting for now. I shall help you with whatever your needs may be. Shall we go? I fear there are officials who have passed our current camping ground overnight and may double back. They seem to be the two that you - dare I say, bested? Yes, bested at the school the other day. Shall I plot our trajectory?"

"That would be satisfactory, 4536. Thank you." I replied, quite pleased.

"We need to be careful as these officials really do not want us to win. Especially you Jared. We have to remember that this is not a game," Shaki said as she laid her hand on my shoulder.

I turned to her and nodded as I fixed my Guandao's on my back and waited until the other two had prepared themselves. We did not know what we would see once we came out of the safe zone. Maverick rushed over to the door and pressed the button. We watched and waited as the door began to lift and swivel to the right. I was the first to step outside to a scene of carnage and destruction. The trees and their branches were all broken and strewn over the field.

It looked like a strong wind had blown them all over. I turned to my comrades and placed my fingers over my lips, keeping low. I edged towards the scene, using the broken limbs and leaves as cover. The ground was torn up and there were red flags where students had been captured for the third time in the day. I counted a total of thirty, but Carlos counted thirty-three.

It did not matter. We just needed to stick together and focus on reaching our goal. We finally reached an area where there was better coverage in the forest, and we began cautiously making our way over. Maverick and Shaki remained in front while Carlos and I watched the back. We continued to watch the skies and it did not seem like there was any danger. Shaki nor my machine had sensed anything for miles.

"Looks like we are safe," Carlos said with a sigh.

"Looks like it," I replied.

"We can't say that just yet. There is something moving towards us. It's just in that clearing up ahead of us," Shaki warned.