Chapter 5

Bodies everywhere. So many of the students were already knocked out. Some of them were bleeding so much that I thought they may have been dead. Some of the students had already seemingly broken through. Well over one hundred students were taken out in the first few minutes. All four of us hurled ourselves behind a large tree stump that was bulky enough to hide a small bus.

"Whatever or whomever did this already left," Shaki said calmly.

"How do you know? I asked, my voice shaking.

"It's one of my powers. I can sense things," Shaki retorted.

"One of your powers, Shaki?!" Maverick said in disbelief.

"Yes! One. Let us not worry about that right now," Shaki said calmly.

"Yeah, let's not," Carlos replied.

"Well at least we can sense the beatdown coming our way," Maverick replied nervously.

"So much confidence," I replied as I rolled my eyes.

"It's ok. We will figure this out. How are you feeling, Jared?" Carlos asked.

"Honestly. I am not sure what to do. I have never seen this kind of carnage before. I mean, with humans yes, but never with Pariah. This is a nightmare," I responded as my eyes began to glisten.

"They will be ok, Jared. The Pariah Sanadores Magicos are on standby and they can heal from significant distances" Carlos said, measuredly.

"Oh great? So, we can get healed after we are near death. How the hell does that help me?" Maverick screamed.

"I thought you were the one who was always telling everyone to chill, Maverick?" I said.

"With the way things are going right now, I don't think we have much of a chance. Guess it's just time to get pummelled," Maverick said as he folded his arms and frowned.

"Wait, Maverick!" Shaki whispered loudly, "Listen to me now before you get blasted by me. Most of the students are beginning to stir already. They are getting healed. Once they get up, we can assess the situation. Let us see who is attacking them first and figure out a strategy from there".

"Sounds like a plan, Shaki," I responded quietly.

"Fine with me. Any idea where someone else is taking my licks and not me, I am all for," Maverick said with a smirk.

I crawled to the left so that I could get a better look at the situation. One of the students was able to stand and shake off the tragic beatdown he had received. He looked around and began to run straight forward into the forest. Nothing happened to him. It seemed in the moment we were in the clear. I noticed other students one by one begin to stand and run straight forward as well.

Then we all heard it. A loud scream and then nothing. The last student near the rear was thrown high up into the air and landed on a tree stump nearby. I felt something land on my face and I quickly wiped it off...blood. I turned to the other three who looked surprised except for Maverick. He was clearly horrified.

"Did you guys see what I saw?" Shaki asked as she gained her composure.

"I saw a man get thrown into the air to his possible death. What you mean if I saw anything?" Maverick yelled.

"No, not that you nitwit," Shaki replied in frustration.

I looked at Carlos and he looked at me. We both nodded our heads and turned back to Shaki.

"Good! So, we all saw what we saw," she whispered. She looked past the tree stump and turned back to us.

"What the hell am I missing here?" Maverick screamed.