Chapter 6 Troy

We continued our voyage for another three days before we saw the outline of the distant shore. The great god Poseidon had truly blessed our voyage with good seas, and the Anemoi or the wind gods gave us nothing but fair winds that blew against the sail. On the fourth day, the great walls of Troy appeared in the distance. I was standing at the front of the ship, holding Hermoine in my arms. Her little eyes were open staring up at me. Athena was standing beside me. We both were marveling at the land before us. Including the distant city. Neither one of us had left Greece before. There was so much to see and so much to take in.

"It is truly a beautiful sight to behold, and just there stands the city of Troy with its imposing walls," Paris said behind us. I turned and watched him approach us. He reached out and took Hermione's little hand. It was so small compared to his. During the voyage, Paris had grown quite fond of my daughter. When she would not settle, he would sing to her, his voice was a deep and harmonious one. I found such happiness in Paris' fondness for my daughter. Though I could not understand why I felt that way. I barely knew the man. And did not understand why my heart was acting the way it did.

"From what I can see, it is far larger and far grander than anything I have seen in all of Greece," I replied honestly. Athena nodded in agreement. We both were taken by just how beautiful the Anatolian coast was. I often watched the ships that sailed from Anatolia dock in Sparta under my father's rule. Their vibrant sails and their exotic goods. How different the merchants looked at the marketplace. Athena and I always walked around the market place before I was married to Menelaus. Before the time of the Mycenaean rule. Which is what the Spartans called it. The Spartan people may have feared Menelaus. But they never accepted him as their king. Their loyalty had always been to me and to my brother.

"Do you know the story behind Troy's famous walls? And how the walls were constructed," Paris asked. I shook my head, eager to know the story. I always loved stories, and the stories over heroes and gods.

"It is said that a thousand years ago, the king of the gods Zues forced his brother the sea god Poseidon, and his son the sun god Apollo to build the walls of Troy. To serve the Trojan king Laomedon in exchange for great riches. A promise the Trojan king did not keep, which angered the two gods. But because the walls were built by the gods, it is said that no man could destroy them," Paris said. I looked up at him with awe.

"Were the walls really built by the gods," Athena asked with a snort. Paris looked at her and gave her a faint smile. Athena like myself had lost faith in the gods a long time ago. That lost of faith had only grown after the loss of her husband and child.

"That is what the legend says. Many Trojans are proud of the walls, and what the gods had done. Even though Laomedon caused woes afterwards with the gods. But for the last thousand years, no one has been able to conquer Troy. And so Troy has prospered for it," Paris replied. I hoped that he was right. Because I knew what was coming, the men who were coming to destroy Troy. We watched as the men sailed the ship into the docks of Troy. The docks were surrounded by several rocky outcroppings. The waves crashing against them with such force it shook the rocks. Men jumped from the ship and moored it at an empty dock. The docks were already alive with activity, filled with merchant cargo ships from everywhere in the known world. Carried with goods that were going to be sold at the markets in Troy and the surrounding cities that were her allies. I saw chariots appearing on the road by the dock. I handed Hermione to Athena, and we made our way to the gangplank. Pollux was already there and helped me down the gangplank followed by Paris and Athena. Two men got down from the chariot and headed our way. One appeared to be around the age of the two Trojan princes, he had dark curly hair cut short. Though some strands fell into his eyes. His face was clean shaven and he was wearing the armor of a Trojan warrior. Clearly Hector had sent out messengers ahead of our return to Troy. The second man appeared to the younger one's father. He had the same dark curly hair, though it was streaked gray. He had wrinkles around his mouth and eyes. His eyes were as dark as the night, his mouth was set a thin line. Both had striking resemblence to the two Trojan princes. He looked at my brother and I with contempt and suspicion. Most from Anatolia looked upon any Greek with weariness in their eyes. For Greeks had been coming to the shores of Anatolia for centuries, ravaging and conquering the cities located near the coast. Hector walked over to the two men and embraced both men.  Paris gave them each a nod of respect. All three men came to where we were standing. I held my head up high. I was still the queen of Sparta after all.