Chapter 21 The Death of Hector

The next morning, just as the sun was beginning to settle in the sky. You could feel the early morning chill in the air. The entire royal family and many of the generals were making our way to the platform that overlooked the plains of Troy. We all converge on the platform solemnly. You could see the dozens of bodies that littered the plains, vultures were flying lazily in the sky. Ready to feast on the flesh of the dead. Hermione, Pollux and Athena were leaning on the railing. Overlooking the plains, I wished that my children did not have to see such death and carnage. Priam and Hecuba were sitting on their thrones, they were holding each other's hands. A look of pure terror was in both their eyes. I knew that Andromache and Hector were saying goodbye to one another and Andromache would soon join us. I chose the best dress I had, the same dress that I wore the day I met Hector and Paris. Hoping that it would be luck to Hector. He had saved me, spent years defending his city and family from those who wished to destroy it. Soon enough we were joined by Andromache and Astyanax. Astyanax immediately went over to join my children. I watched as Hermione reached over and took Astyanax's hand. Leaning into him, giving him comfort. I went to stand by Andromache, who stood at the closest railing to the gate, so she could see her husband fight. I took her hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. I looked over at her, she was wearing a brave expression. A somber expression of a future queen. I knew that she worried for her husband and his life.

"Hector will win this fight. He will survive this day," I told her. She turned her head to meet my gaze. She tried to smile, but it did not quite meet her eyes. All I saw was fear in her eyes. Fear that her husband would not return to her.

"I hope you are right Helen, I hope you are right," Andromache whispered. I returned my gaze to the Trojan plains. I saw a lone chariot emerge from the sunlight. I could tell that it was Achilles' chariot. He drove straight up to the gates. He got out and drew his sword. Aiming up at us. Achilles had not really changed since the first time I laid eyes on him.

"HECTOR! HECTOR," Achilles screamed over and over again. Each time Hector's name escaped Achilles' lips. Andromache squeezed my hand further. I winced in pain, but I continued to bear it for her. I watched as one tear slowly escaped her eye. I know that Hector must have told Andromache what he told me. They never kept anything from each other. I heard the gates open below us. And Hector emerged from Troy, clad in his armor. Achilles threw down his helmet. Aiming his sword at Hector.

"Now you see the face of the man you will be fighting today, prince," Achilles yelled loud enough for us all to hear. Hector pulled off his helmet, throwing it to the sand. I heard Priam gasp behind us. I saw the grim determination on Hector's face.

"I thought it was you, Achilles. Not your brother. I swear it by the gods," Hector yelled. But this did not take away Achilles' anger. It only fueled it further. I knew nothing would sate Achilles' anger. Except for Hector dead at his feet as Troy looked on.

"Does not matter, for Patroclus is dead. And soon so will you," Achilles roared. Hector looked up at his wife. A softer expression on his face. He worried for his wife and son, Watching him be killed by Achilles. A life for a life.

"If either of us fall today. Let the other respect and observe the proper funerary rites. Let us promise that to one another as noblemen," Hector yelled. He was still looking at Andromache. But soon returned his gaze to his enemy. Achilles just scoffed at his request.

"WHEN YOU DIE, YOUR PRECIOUS FAMILY, YOUR PRECIOUS CITY WILL WATCH AS I CUT YOU DOWN. WATCH AS YOUR CORPSE DECAYS AND VULTURES RIP YOUR FLESH FROM YOUR BONES. THAT IS MY PROMISE TO YOU PRINCE," Achilles screamed. I heard Andromache let out a mournful cry. I held her hand tight. Achilles was being prideful, but I knew that he would make good on that promise. That Achilles would not allow us to give Hector a proper funeral if Hector was killed by his hand. We all watched as the two warriors circled one another. Achilles lunged like a lion lunging on its prey. Hector managed to roll and dodged him. Hector stabbed Achilles with his sword, but Achilles only managed to parry it. Hector then shoved his shield into Achilles causing Achilles to stumble. Hector then tried injuring Achilles with his dagger but Achilles quickly recovered. It could have been only minutes, but it felt like hours as Hector and Achilles continued this deadly dance. Neither one managed a mortal wound. But I knew that one would eventually tire, and the other would take the chance and go in for the kill. I prayed to Zues, I prayed to Apollo, I prayed to whomever that would listen. That it would be Achilles who tires, and not Hector. But as the fighting continued on, my prayers went unanswered. I soon watched in horror as Achilles lunged at Hector, Hector tried parrying, but it was too late. Achilles undercut Hector, slicing both Hector's ankles. With a painful cry, Hector fell to his knees. Blood pouring from his many open wounds onto the dirt.