Chapter 12 Indecision

After being surrounded by darkness for what felt like days, my eyes opened. I was not on the walls of Troy like I thought. I was back in my chambers in the palace. I was laying on my bed. Andromache was sitting on a stool beside my bed. Hecuba and Priam were at the foot of the bed. Both had anxiety and concern in their eyes. I could make out the sun beginning to set behind them. I realized that I had been unconscious the entire day. Remembering the goddesses speaking in my mind. And falling unconscious on the walls of Troy. The soldiers that Athena, Hera, and Aphrodite had blessed and cursed.

"What... What happened? The battle? Is it over already," I whispered. I slowly sat up and leaned back against the pillows. Looking at them all. Andromache, Hecuba, and Priam all let out a sigh of relief. They clearly were concerned about me.

"We were on the dias beside the main gates, waiting for the battle to begin. You began to scream and clutch your head. You crumbled to the ground and simply fell unconscious," Priam said. His tone had sympathy and sternness in it. I felt my cheeks blush. Knowing that the sight of me doing such a thing was an embarrassment. No doubt that the nobles on that dias thought I was mad. That the whole scene was total madness.

"I did not mean to cause any of you any anxiety or embarrassment on the walls. I do not know what came over me," I replied. Andromache reached out and took my hand. Trying to sooth me. But I only felt embarrassed from the whole thing.

"You have nothing to be sorry for Helen. I have witnessed such things before in my boyhood. What did you hear? What did you see," Priam asked. I looked up in awe. Did Priam really see this in his boyhood?

" I heard three goddesses, Athena, Aphrodite, and Hera. They were blessing both Trojan and Greek warriors as the two armies approached one another. Your sons were among the warriors that were blessed including Aeneas. When I went unconscious, the king of the gods Zues came to me. Said that even the gods were choosing sides in this war," I replied. Hecuba looked over at her husband when I finished speaking.

"Priam, what does this mean? That even the gods are choosing sides in this battle," Hecuba asked. Priam took Hecuba's hand and pressed a kiss on it. They both loved one another deeply. Just like my own parents did in my youth. It made me wonder if Zues was truly my father. My mother would never betray her vow to my father. But with both my parents dead, I will never know what truly happened before I was burn.

"If the gods are choosing sides, then this means that this coming war will be remembered for centuries. Including those fought in this war. Both seen and unseen," Priam replied. I wished that I could have the same optimism as Priam. I knew that he was praying that this war would be over and that his sons would survive. Soon a servant entered the room. Bowing to us all.

"My lord and lady, the soldiers are returning from battle. They have been able to push the Greeks back to their ships," the servant said to Priam. Priam nodded and dismissed the servant with a wave of his hand. He looked over at Hecuba.

"Come, we must welcome the victorious men back," Priam said. I pushed the blankets aside and was beginning to get up from the bed. I wanted to see them come back. But Andromache just shook her head.

"You should rest Helen. You have been through quite an ordeal today, and need some time to rest," Andromache replied simply. I shook my head at her. I was not going to just lay here and wait. I wanted to see for myself that both my brother and Paris were alive and not badly injured. I slowly got up and wrapped a shawl around my shoulders. The sea breeze had grown cool and raised bumps on my skin. The Trojan monarchs and Andromache would learn soon enough just how stubborn I could be.

"I will not sit here in my chambers and wait for those doors to open. To see if my brother had died or if Paris had died. I will go and see for myself if both men had survived this day," I said sternly. Andromache and Hecuba went to protest but Priam held up his hand to silence them.