Chapter 32: A Fight That Easily Messes With the Mind

AN: Oh my gawd is this an update?! Yes, yes it is.

I figured that all of you must be dying to know what happens next, and I decided I should finish this, and only this, book. I feel the need to finish it, due to the fact that all you wonderful commentors and fans really boosted my confidence in writing.

The fight will be much different, I don't quite remember exactly how Kyoko acted (for the most part) so she may seem a bit... different.

I do apologize for the delayed wait, but, here's a chapter~! :3

~~~

Another day at the bridge, another day of ignoring Kakashi.

It wasn't the fact that I wanted to completely ignore the only person I care for in my life, I just did not want to deal with an apology from him that I knew he was trying to deliver. I was never one for apologizing nor being apologized too, especially if I was the one who caused the need for an apology.

Many times I was close to talking to Kakashi again, but the look in his one visible eye that showed he was going to spill his heart out to me made me stop and walk away again. I can't stand it; that pathetic look, the guilty look.

Sighing, I swung my legs over the side of the bridge so I could gaze more easily down at the water while keeping a tight grip on the railing so as not to fall. We've been here for almost a week, and today was the day Zabuza, supposedly, was going to return to torment us once again. I had high expectations if he were to show back up; our mission was to protect Tazuna, and if Zabuza wanted to kill him that badly, he'd get to face utter defeat.

The genin haven't improved much in learning how to fight as much as they did learning how to climb trees. After the first day of having them climb trees, I knew they should've been training in fighting techniques, but no, Kakashi didn't want that. Not that I wanted to talk to him anyway.

"Kyoko..." I jumped at the sound of Kakashi's voice beside me, causing me to almost fall off the bridge. Thank Kami for chakra, or I would have.

I didn't look at Kakashi while I spoke. "What?"

The tension was evident, along with the clear hesitation while Kakashi spoke quietly, "About a few days ag-"

"Stop there," I put a hand out to show I wanted him to stop talking. "Can we just pretend nothing happened and get over it? I'm done pretending like I hate you."

Another small hesitation before Kakashi gave me a nod, and his signature eye smile. I smiled softly back, still a bit unsure.

Yes, I was a bit curious as to what my feelings were whenever I looked at Kakashi, but I wouldn't dare speak these aloud. Especially not to Kakashi; what if he took them the wrong way?

When we get back to the village I'll have to ask someone about them. They can't go away unless I know what I'm fighting, right?

"Thanks Kakashi," I wrapped my arms around his neck, giving him a short hug, but didn't let him return it. I walked away before he could.

That was incredibly rude, but even the slightest touch between me and him made my face heat up now. Ever since this warm feeling in my stomach appeared, I can't help it.

I made my way to the other side, glancing down the unfinished part of the bridge where Sasuke and Sakura watched over the progress. There was something off about it though. Was that... mist?

In a split second, the thick waves of mist was covering the entire bridge. "Sasuke, Sakura! Protect Tazuna!" Kakashi and I met the two genin and the old man in the middle of the bridge, standing in a protective circle.