Chapter 35: Lost Again

Quick AN: I will not be writing a full battle scene since I do not remember how those go, let alone Kyoko's... everything.

---

My lungs ached for a proper breather, blood dripped down the corner of my lips, my body felt like jello at this point. The Mizukage... I suppose he became what he is for a reason.  I refused to result to Kokuō. Besides, I'm positive the Mizukage could defeat me even in that state.

Knees bent slightly in as they shook, I gasped through my panting as more pain shot through me.

"Look at how weak you still are," A smirk was evident in his voice. "Almost as weak as you were when Kyoya and Ai gave up their lives, just for you."

My panting froze for a split second, heart skipping a beat. "Do not... bring them up," I choked out, straightening back up at the thought of my two dearest friends. "They are much..." I gripped my chest, "better then you will ever be."

His laugh caused a new anger to flower inside me. How dare he think he can casually bring up Ai and Kyoya, reminding me how much I miss them. I will not let his mind game get to me.

"Does that anger you?" He teased. In a split second, I felt his presence behind me. "Make you remember the two people who you killed, for your own rank?"

My laugh came out bitter. "You know nothing..." I said quietly, jumping forward to avoid him being behind me any longer. "Nothing of who I am, despite having me for years."

"Oh, but, Kyoko, don't I?" A malicious smirk graced his lips. "Your father told me an awful lot about this silver haired boy he saw you with, when he visited you."

That bastard told him about Kakashi? This couldn't be good. If he knew about Kakashi, the bond I shared with him that even I don't quite understand, then I knew I would be putting Kakashi in danger. "And? What's your point?" I spat viciously, in no mood to dance around the bush.

"And, would you rather I have a group of my elites attack Kakashi on his next solo mission, or simply agree to my wishes and come back to the Mist?" His voice cooled, almost as if he expected the answer and knew he'd get it his way.

I bit my lip as multiple scenarios played through my head. Kakashi could handle his own, he could more than likely fight a group of the Mist's nins. The thing is, I knew the Mizukage didn't mean just one of Kakashi's solo missions. He meant any, and that would mean he'd kill my team in order to get to Kakashi. How could I put those four in danger like that?

On the other hand, going back to the Mist meant going back to the place that holds so many memories, both good and bad. Could I really slide into that role again?

If it was to protect my team, and most importantly Kakashi, then...

"I'm not about to go without a fight, and I will walk away from here."

The Mizukage stared at me again, eyes looking over my already bruised and cut up body. He knew I didn't have much fight left. "If that's how you wish to play, then so be it."

~~~

It seemed like my world so quickly became dark. It was so simple; I had to get away. But, things were never that simple, right?

The Mizukage put up an amazing fight, and even though I used my strongest jutsu's, it just didn't seem to be enough. I came close to using Kokuō, but I was honestly afraid of hurting my Tailed Beast. Even he didn't deserve to get hurt in my book.

Perhaps this is just how it's supposed to be.

As my eyes finally closed from exhaustion and being thoroughly beat, only one thought came to mind.