17. The problem with needing

Monday, 2nd August 1976. 7 days until the full moon.

10:39 AM

Given the healing process and the procedures he followed after he broke his arm, Judson could say he was practically a healer. After the first Episkey he attempted with Maverick by his side, his arm held itself pretty good, but a few days went on and pain began to appear at the break point. He read every book he had in search of a solution—he tried scanning, mending and welding spells in order to fix it, and prepared himself a potion for pain. He knew the easier way was to ask Niamh to give him an ibuprofen, but nobody at home knew of the incident and, besides, he wanted to practise. An opportunity like this was rare enough, so he took the best of it.

He knew he had done a good job when his father offered to take him and Maverick to watch a Quidditch match. If Perseus had known what Judson had gone through, he wouldn't have even thought about taking him out of the house. Maverick had never been to a former Quidditch pitch, the matches between Hogwarts houses the only ones he had witnessed, so he was beyond excited. Thanks to his job at the Ministry of Magic in the Muggle Liaison Office, Judson's father had secured great seats for them, and his arm didn't hurt once—not even when Maverick celebrated with him after Puddlemere United was announced as the winner.

Two weeks had passed since then, and his arm was doing better now. He still moved around carefully, but all in all, his daily routine could be maintained intact. Early in the morning he would eat breakfast, and after that Judson would sit at his desk and complete one of his readings. This particular Monday, Judson was about to finish a little earlier than usual, because it was a special day: Remus was visiting his home.

Judson closed his book and stored it in his library, next to the ones he had placed by author, in alphabetical order. Judson rearranged his bedsheets and the vinyls on top of his shelf. He moved his school trunk to a corner, and tied the curtains at the side of the window. Everything looked clean and pristine, just as Judson wanted.

It was not like it wasn't tidy before that. In fact, he had rearranged the stuff in his room about twice now, and was containing himself to do it a third time. Worst part was it wasn't even midday. Remus was supposed to show up through the Floo after lunch, but the hours seemed to pass as slowly as a slug. Judson was about to lose his mind if the hands of his watch didn't move faster.

To stop his restlessness, he decided to go downstairs and help his mum with the food. Judson enjoyed cooking, and it helped him to distract himself from the passing of time. They ate sitting in the garden, until the humid weather became so unbearable they had to return inside. And while his mother took care of the kitchen, Judson decided to tidy up the living room again. After a couple of minutes of arranging the cushions and ornaments, Niamh joined him back.

"How long until your friend arrives?" She asked, sitting beside Judson on the couch and grabbing a magazine from the top of the table.

"I don't know," answered Judson. "He must be on his way, though."

"Haven't you called him and asked how much it takes him to get here?"

"Ma, wizards don't use phones," explained Judson, but he doubted. "I mean... I don't know if he owns one, actually. But I haven't called him."

"Well, make sure to take his number before he leaves today," she suggested.

"Yeah," he sighed, trying to hide a smile, and laid with his head resting on Niamh's lap.

"Watch some telly while you wait," she spoke again. And Judson turned it on, always the obedient child.

A couple of more minutes passed until his mother talked again.