CHAPTER 21

"Ummm, Tom..." I start, looking around frantically.

"Yes darling?" He asks, looking as composed as ever.

"What in the name of Merlin's saggy ballsack is going on?! Why is the whole manor decorated and why is there a table full of pictures of dead people? And why is there a picture of my mum and dad? How did you get that? Why are there death eaters running around and why is everyone so cheerful-" I breath heavily, but Tom places a finger on my lips and smiles handsomly.

"Take a deep breath. It's Samhain today, that's the explanation for the decoration, it's the holiday of all wixen. As for the pictures, we are holding a ceremony today called 'Sacre du Voile'. On Samhain, which is called Halloween in the muggle world, the veil between the living and the dead is very thin and so many old families hold the Sacre du Voile ceremony to invite their dead loved ones over to the side of the living to celebrate this fest with them. There are similar fests in other muggle cultures, I think on is especially similar, it is a Mexican festival of the dead. I asked one of my employees to find a picture of your parents since I thought you would like to invite them over for Samhain as well. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to overstep, especially in my position-" I stop him right there.

"There is no need to apologize Tom. That was very thoughtful of you. Thank you." I give him a little kiss on the lips before running off to my room. Seems like I have a party to get ready for.

---

Maybe wearing my tightest pair of dragon-leather pants and my slightly opened emerald satin shirt wasn't the best idea, I think, as Tom growls at some poor ex-death eater who looks at me for merely two seconds. I was wearing my extravagant black robe over my outfit, but it was way too hot in this room full of people so I had Violet bring it back to my room. After all, this is a party for mainly close friends or 'employees' of Tom and I don't need to act out of sorts.

Tom was very nervous all afternoon since he invited his best friend and his best friend's husband over and apparently he went Voldy-Moldy on them when he saw them a few years back. He told me that he explained everything to them recently, but he was still very nervous. I can understand that.

But ever since I joined him after getting dressed all he's been doing is growling at colleagues and frowning. I don't even know why. I mean, it can't be just what I'm wearing. Does he not want me to wear pretty things? Is he that mad because I'm stealing his show? Not that I think I am. Tom looks even more dashing than usual in his black dress pants, ruby-coloured dress shirt and that slicked back hair, slightly tousled at the ends. His first two buttons are undone and I think I detect a bit of glossy lip-balm on his shiny lips.

My hair is almost as messy as ever, but since it has grown out a bit, about shoulder-length, it has been easier to tame it and falls in crazy waves. My lips are as cracked as ever, so maybe I should ask Tom what he uses on his lips. My shirt only has four lower buttons, so where there should be three top buttons, my shirt is open, showing a bit of my pale chest.

I decide I've had enough and pull Tom away into a small room, that is empty apart from a desk, chair and small book-shelf.

"Will you tell me what's going on now?" I ask annoyed and look Tom straight in the eye.

"I don't think I'm sure what you're referring to." Tom answers smoothly, but that makes me even more mad.

"You know what I'm talking about! Ever since I've come down here you've been pouting and glaring. You haven't said a single word to me yet! Today was supposed to be special, right? All you've been doing is making everyone's mood sour, including mine! Have I done something wrong? Would you rather I stay in my room all evening?" I seethe and Tom starts to look mad as well.