Chapter 7

Swearing/Blood

---------

    Have you ever imagined what your life would be like if you didn't meet someone close to you? That's me with Veronica

    Have you ever imagined what your life would be like if you didn't meet someone close to you? That's me with Veronica. I miss her voice, her hair, the way she smiles, and the way she makes me feel. I've forgotten that feeling when she is around; I don't even remember it now. When my brain pictures her, it imaged her as if she were some stranger. All the happiness and the way my heart used to skip a beat disappeared.

    That happens when you get stuck in the future for forty-three years. I don't know how often I've said it before, but I'll repeat it. The future fucking sucks.

    Now, I only get close to that feeling with Five. This is understandable; he is the only person I talked to and hung out with for forty-three years. I feel happy when I'm around him, and the world disappears. The same way you feel when you hang out with your best friend, right?

    "Alberto and I survived on scraps. Canned food, cockroaches, anything we could find," Five says.

    "Don't forget about that squirrel we found one time," I say, sipping my milk.

    Five shakes his head slightly. He chuckles. "You know that rumor that Twinkies have an endless shelf life?" Vanya nods. "Well, it's total bullshit."

    "I can't even imagine," Vanya says.

    "Sometimes you have to do whatever it takes to survive," Five sips his coffee. "Or the three of us would have died. So we adapted. Whatever the world threw at us, we found a way to come it over." I raised a brow in confusion for a second, then realized who he was talking about.

    "We? I thought it was you and Alberto," Vanya looks at Five, confused.

    "Do you have anything stronger?" Five asks. Vanya nods, standing up and walking into the kitchen.

    I notice my empty cup and place it on the table beside Five. "Delores?" I ask, looking at him.

    "Yep," Five says while smirking a little bit. "I hope she is doing alright." I face away from him, feeling myself about to laugh.

    "Yeah, she's watching you," I say, turning back at Five and making him look at me. "In heaven," I whisper, covering my mouth with my hand.

    "What did you say?" Five asks.

    "Nothing," I turn my back from him. I'm not good at lying; I'm not made of stone. You know what? I'm just going to tell him. I turn back to face him as he looks at me, confused. "I shot Delores. After you left, I got pissed and shot Delores with your gun. So now she's in heaven!" I turn away, closing my eyes, expecting him to hit me.

    "What are you doing?" He says, confused.

    I open my eyes and slowly turn back to face him. Now I feel embarrassed; he's looking at me like I'm an idiot or something. "Sorry, I just thought you would hit me or something. I mean, I shot your girlfriend or whatever she is to you."