Chapter 4

The Diamond of the Season

There is nothing quite like the sweet-scented smell of success. But after taking in the scene from last night's festivities, it is clear the season won't be quite so fragrant for everyone.

The Viscount Bridgerton's own mama and royal sister-in-law may have loudly declared his lofty intentions to marry, yet I cannot be the only one wondering if this former Capital-R Rake is, indeed, ready to flourish.

Perhaps the Viscount, like the rest of us, is simply waiting for the Queen to finally name her diamond.

Or perhaps this author should take matters into her own hands.

Buckingham House, London

The Queen of England invited the Duke and Duchess of Kent and Strathearn over for breakfast to discuss the first ball of the season. The meal is served with precision, a symphony of culinary delights presented by attentive staff. Delicate scones, fresh fruits, and exquisite pastries grace the table.

Though everything was going smoothly until Lady Whistledown Society Papers were delivered to the Queen, and the Duke and Duchess.

"I shall not be hustled into making my selection," she stated. "Not by anyone."

"Of course, Your Majesty," Brimsley nodded.

"Take this away," the Queen handed him her sheet. "And bring me a list of the peerage."

"Yes, Your Majesty," he bowed his head before going to do as he was told.

"I yearn for someone new, unexpected, fresh. I yearn to be impressed," his mother-in-law responded. "And so far, none have stood the part."

"I'm sure at tonight's Ball you will get your chance to choose your diamond, Mama," Charlotte said. "Given the fact that another family has joined the social season, now there will be more young debutants to impress you."

"Really?" Benedict raised her eyebrows in surprise. "Who?"

"The Sharma's," his wife responded. "They came all the way from India. Lady Danbury sponsors them."

"Do not tell Anthony," Benedict joked. "Or he'll interview them too."

"Oh, I heard," the Queen lightly chuckled. "Though I must admit, Son, I wouldn't mind a match between my diamond and London's most eligible bachelor. As his brother, would you say he would be a perfect match for my diamond?"

"I'm sure my brother would...adapt to your diamond, Your Majesty," the Duke looked at his wife for help, but she shrugged. "Whoever Her Majesty chooses, of course."

"Was not the Viscount one of your callers last year?" The Queen asked her daughter, who almost choked on her drink.

"No..." Charlotte trailed off, ignoring her husband's gaze on her. "I mean, I wouldn't use those exact words, Mama. He was more of an...acquaintance."

"An acquaintance?" Benedict laughed.

"A really good friend," his wife stated, slightly glaring at him as he laughed. "You really want to debate about 'acquaintances', Benedict?"

In that moment, after his laughter immediately died down, the Duke of Kent and Strathearn wondered if he should start writing his will.