Chapter 3

London's Most Eligible Bachelor

Buckingham House, London

In the opulent chambers of the palace, Benedict stood in front of a full-length mirror, meticulously adjusting his perfectly tailored black tailcoat. The room was adorned with rich fabrics, gilded mirrors, and crystal chandeliers that bathed the couple in a soft, enchanting glow. Charlotte was seated at a vanity table, adorned in a breathtaking gown of pearly white silk, its intricate lace bodice an artistic masterpiece. Her hair, artfully braided, with the diamond tiara on her head, her face radiant with grace and beauty. She applied a hint of rouge to her cheeks with a small, delicate brush.

"I am still mortified by my last conversation with your brother," the Duchess commented as she finished up.

"Today is the start of the journey where my brother goes mad," Benedict said, and quickly glanced towards his wife, who was already glaring at him. "I'm sorry, Char. I know I shouldn't joke about people going mad."

"You know it's alright, my love," she lightly chuckled. "I'm just..."

"Worried?" He nodded. "I know, but you shouldn't concern yourself with his decision."

"A decision that will change his life forever!" His wife exclaimed. "I thought you knew that better than anyone."

"Oh, I know that," he chuckled and walked towards her. "Best decision of my life."

Benedict proceeded to grab her diamond necklace from the small box and placed it around her neck. As the cold silver chain met her skin, a hushed intimacy enveloped the room, and the flickering candlelight danced upon her countenance, casting a romantic glow that captured the essence of their timeless love.

"Send my love to dear Eloise," his wife said softly. "I promise to hold off the Queen as much as I can."

"It will take an army to take Eloise out of that house," both chuckled at Benedict's statement.

"I will try to see her moments before the presentation begins," she placed her hand over his that laid on her shoulders as the two stared at the other through the mirror. "Oh, Benny..."

"What?" He pressed a light peck on her cheek.

"I don't think I've ever said this exact word, but..." His wife sighed contently. "You look beautiful, my love."

"Beautiful?" Benedict raised en eyebrow at her. "If I look beautiful, then you look exquisite, radiant, lovely, magnificent—"

"Oh, stop it!" Charlotte giggled, her cheeks reddened more than they already were.

They locked eyes through the mirror, and the calmness of the room turned into something more lustful as both the Duke and Duchess of Kent and Strathearn's hearts started racing, and without waiting any longer, both turned to face each other and, leaned in to exchange a gentle, lingering kiss. His hand cupped her cheek while hers rested on his arms as their lips met in a delicate, affectionate union. Not even half a minute went by when they pulled away to breathe, only for their mouths meet again in a fiery, passionate kiss that left them both breathless, as the world outside disappeared and their desires burned brightly.

That was, until a knock on the door interrupted their moment.

"I swear to God, if it's Tommy—"

"Enter!" Charlotte spoke, and the door opened to reveal one of her ladies.

"Your Royal Highnesses," Lilia made a curtsy for both of them. "Pardon me for interrupting."

"You can never be mad at her, Benny," his wife teased him as he fixed his tailcoat. "It's alright, Lilia. What is it?"