Chapter 1

A Changed Man

Dublin Castle, Dublin, Ireland

1814 has arrived. The year the Viscount, Lord Anthony Bridgerton, has finally declared that he would no longer be Viscountess-less. Apparently, also the year that Eloise Bridgerton will finally make her debut in the social season. And lastly, the year Violet Bridgerton will have two grandchildren, and the Royal Family will finally have an heir to the throne of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

It's been a wonderful start of the year for the Duke and Duchess of Kent and Strathearn. Charlotte's pregnancy has been going smoothly this far, no scares along the way, just a bit of inconformity, but she's been able to handle herself.

From January to the middle of February, they returned and stayed in Holyrood Palace, in Edinburgh, Scotland, like they once planned. The Queen decided to join them, to keep an eye on her daughter and her pregnancy, and to not miss the fun of visiting other places with her daughter, like they used to do.

The Duke and Duchess of Kent and Strathearn even received the Bridgerton Family as visitors in Holyrood Palace, for two weeks. Both Benedict and Charlotte will forever have carved in their hearts the faces of young Hyacinth the moment she stepped foot on the palace's grounds. The Bridgerton girl  almost cried her eyes out with pure excitement and joy. Also, they took them to Auchterarder, Strathearn, and all places they once visited in their honeymoon, such as the Highlands.

Violet Bridgerton decided to skip the lovely travel to attend Daphne with her pregnancy.  So, the Viscount stayed in charge of all his younger siblings. They had invited the Bassets as well, but since Daphne was too far long in her pregnancy and with much more inconformity than Charlotte, the Duke and Duchess of Hastings decided to visit another time.

"And..." Benedict made the last move and threw his fist in the air. "Yes! Check mate!"

"And that's two out of three games, Mama," Charlotte clapped with joy and kissed her husband's cheek. Luna barked at his side and both smiled down at her. "You saw that, Luna? He won!"

"Touch them," he showed his wife his hands, and when she held them, a giggle escaped her lips at how sweaty they are. "I was so nervous!"

"You did great, my love," she pressed a light kiss on both of his hands.

"Well, well, well..." The Queen sighed. "Never thought I'd ever have real competition."

"I thought I was your real competition..." Charlotte muttered as she stared at her mother in disbelief.

"And I never thought I'd ever feel so intimidated during a game of chess in my life," Benedict added, making the Queen laugh. "Well played, Your Majesty."

"Likewise," she nodded in agreement.

"Anyways, I told you your son-in-law was the perfect rival for you, Mama," the Duchess chuckled.

"I've just played too many times against my sister. She was a real challenge sometimes," Benedict decided to tease his wife. "Though, I must say... My angel, why are you so bad at chess when Her Majesty is such an expert?"

"I'm not that bad, Benny," she smiled innocently. "Her Majesty is just wise beyond her years."

"Well said, darling," the Queen winked at her daughter with a smirk. "Oh! By the way, I told your ladies and mine to arrange everything. We are living tomorrow."

"Tomorrow, Mama?" Charlotte questioned with confusion. "So soon?"

"We are so short on time, darling. There is so much we must do! So much we must organize," the Queen exclaimed and looked at both her daughter and the man who she now considered like another son. "This is your first social season as Duke and Duchess of Kent and Strathearn."