Chapter 5

The Art of Racing and Poetry

Dearest reader,

It has been said that competition is an opportunity for us to rise and stand ready before our greatest of challenges.

Well, if what this author hears this morning is true, then a great challenge concerning this season's diamond has been set forth, indeed.

Any suitor wishing to gain an audience with Miss Edwina Sharma must first tame the rather prickly spinster of a beast otherwise known as her sister.

Bridgerton House, London

"Miss Sharma?" Benedict questioned as the staff continued to shave him and his brother.

"Miss Edwina Sharma. Not the sister," Anthony clarified. "Miss Edwina will suffice."

"Let me ask you something, Brother... Basically I am married into the Royal Family, Daphne married a Duke..." Benedict spoke. "Hastings and Daphne could help us look after our family. You know obviously Charlotte and I will... There are enough people to look after our family. Wouldn't you like to marry for love too?"

"That's unnecessary. It is only out of the greatest love of my family that I aim to choose a bride with my head and not my..." Both brothers exchanged a glance. "Heart."

"Does Miss Edwina return your affection?" Benedict asked.

"Not yet. She would have done if it were not for—"

"The sister," Benedict mocked. "She's rather thorny, I take it?"

"Indeed," Anthony nodded. "Though she need not trouble me. Every rose does have its thorn, after all."

Of course the only competition that compels my attention is the game of courtship.

So best of luck to this year's players. Do try not to stumble on the starting line.

Few hours later, the drawing room of Bridgerton House was bathed in the soft glow of daylight filtering through the heavy curtains. Few members of the family were gathered while the Viscount was away calling on the diamond of the season. The Duchess of Kent and Strathearn and the Dowager Viscountess Bridgerton engaged in polite conversation while embroidering, the Duke sat in front of them, working on a few sketches while Eloise Bridgerton analyzed the latest Lady Whistledown's issue.

"Good morning, Your Royal Highnesses, Bridgertons," Penelope Featherington greeted them with a small curtsy as she walked in the room.

"Good morning, Penelope," Charlotte smiled at the young girl. "How is your family?"

"We– We're good! Thank you, Ma'am," she smiled nervously and looked at her best friend. "Is that a copy of Lady Whistledown?"

"It is," Eloise smiled.

"I thought we were done with her," Penelope stated.

"Do not discourage her, Penelope," Violet spoke. "If she has taken an interest in Lady Whistledown again, perhaps she's interested in what she has to say about the season's available gentlemen too."

"I cannot think of any cleverer way to say this, but no," Eloise sighed and turned to her best friend. "Her latest is not exactly the philosophical treatise on the rights of the fairer sex I was hoping for, but—"

"I do not think Lady Whistledown has changed her style of writing since her last issue," Penelope commented.

"Perhaps not," Eloise said. "But perhaps she still can."