Chapter 9

New Beginnings

Arm in arm, the Duke and Duchess of Kent and Strathearn made their entrance, their smiles radiant as they surveyed the breathtaking scene unfolding before them. The opulent ballroom was transformed into a veritable paradise of elegance and romance, befitting the themed Hearts and Flowers Ball.

The Dowager Viscountess Bridgerton had meticulously arranged two chairs in a prime location, ensuring that Charlotte and Benedict could enjoy a perfect vantage point of the entire ballroom. Positioned near the entrance, the couple sat regally, akin to a King and Queen upon their thrones, graciously acknowledging the respectful curtsies and nods of greeting from the guests as they passed by. From this elevated perch, they observed their court with a sense of pride and contentment.

The Duchess of Kent and Strathearn watched as the Viscount approached Edwina, extending his hand for a dance, leaving Kate behind. She observed Kate's lingering gaze as they walked away together, a mixture of curiosity and perhaps a hint of longing in her eyes.

But Charlotte's focus shifted when she felt the gentle kicks of their child within her belly. With a tender smile, she looked down at her burgeoning bump, her hand instinctively caressing the curve of her stomach. Benedict, noticing her expression, reached out and took her other hand in his, pressing a soft kiss to the back of it, his own smile mirroring hers in sheer delight.

"Have I ever told you that the thought of being a father fills me with an indescribable joy and excitement with equal fear and nerves?" She giggled at her husband's words. "Truth be told, I cannot wait to hold our little one in my arms, to watch them grow and learn, to see the world through their eyes."

"I feel the same way, my love," Charlotte sighed contently. "I can already imagine our home filled with the sound of laughter and the pitter-patter of tiny feet."

"Indeed, my angel," he brought her hand to his lips and kissed it. "And I couldn't be more grateful to share this adventure with you by my side."

"As am I, my love," she stared at him, longingly.

As the night wore on, the festivities only seemed to intensify, with guests losing themselves in the merriment of the moment. It was a ball unlike any other, a celebration of love, friendship, and the sheer joy of being alive. And from the looks of it, everyone present was absolutely loving every minute of it.

Little does everyone know, the Duchess of Kent and Strathearn found herself grappling with a sudden wave of discomfort that emanated from her lower belly. She discreetly pressed a hand against her abdomen, a furrow forming between her brows as she sought to conceal the fleeting pain from prying eyes.

For a brief moment, the sensation lingered, causing her heart to quicken with worry. Yet, before she could voice her apprehensions to her husband, the discomfort began to ebb away, dissipating as swiftly as it had come.

Relief washed over Charlotte as the pain subsided, leaving behind only a lingering sense of unease. She forced a smile onto her lips, determined to maintain an air of composure despite the lingering discomfort. It was a fleeting moment of vulnerability, one that she resolved to keep hidden from the prying gazes of the revelers around her.

"Have you seen Colin?" Benedict wondered. "I haven't seen him since before yesterday's hunt."

"I haven't seen dear Colin," she looked around the ballroom. "And I do not think he's here."