Chapter 2

The Price of Motherhood

Kensington Palace, London

Meanwhile the Duchess of Kent and Strathearn joined the Queen in embroidering flowers, she thought of ways to aid the Viscount in his search for a new Viscountess. It breaks Charlotte's heart that Anthony insists on leaving love out of the equation, and truly hoped that there was someone out there who could change his mind, because she can't, no matter how hard she tries.

"We need to talk, Mama," she lightly sighed and stopped embroidering her tulips. "I need your assistance with something."

"Is it murder?" The Queen questioned, only taking her eyes off her lilies to see her daughter shaking her head. "Then why do you need my help at all?"

"Do you remember Benedict's brother?" Charlotte asked. "The Dowager Viscountess Bridgerton's eldest."

"Oh, yes, I do. Quite a handsome young man he is, indeed. Hard to forget," the Queen smirked. "I even thought him perfect for you, darling."

"Yes, I remember that," she chuckled lightly before continuing. "The Viscount intends to find a wife this season, and I would like to help him as best I can... Even if it means using my position to his advantage."

"And why do you seek my assistance?" Her mother questioned.

"I suppose there is some sort of registry with all families names, those whose daughters have already made their debut and those new to come," she explained, and lightly sighed. "Is there a way I could get a hold of those names and...see if I can help the Viscount in some way?"

"Well, that depends... I'd like to know something," the Queen raised an eyebrow at her. "Do you know what the Viscount is looking for in a wife?"

"We have not yet had the chance to have such conversation, but I have a pretty clear idea of his...standards," she lightly smiled. "He insists that we have that conversation soon, before the social season starts next week."

"Very well. I shall allow you to see the registry, but only once," the Queen stated. "Even London's most eligible bachelor should get in queue for all young ladies. Especially this season's diamond."

"Thank you, Mama," Charlotte smiled at her mother and continued embroidering her tulips.

"I already saw the registry, only those who registered early... Do you know who was the first family?" The Queen smirked. "The Bridgertons."

"Well, yes," she nodded. "My sister-in-law, Miss Eloise Bridgerton, will participate this season."

"I know Eloise Bridgerton," the Queen paused for a moment as she thought of the young girl. "She was quite determined to discover Lady Whistledown's identity...and failed."

"She still wishes to unmask the woman," Charlotte nodded. "Though, I can confirm, her priorities have changed."

"Well... I do not favor favoritism, especially when not everyone will be pleased with it, but..." The Queen lightly sighed and continued embroidering her lilies. "I will keep an eye on this Bridgerton girl. The Bridgertons are now family, it's the least I could do."

"Mama," the Duchess of Kent and Strathearn sighed contently. "I'm so grateful for—"

"But she must impress me, Daughter. She must shine above all if she is to be the diamond," her mother stated, and truly, the Duchess couldn't not expect those words coming up. "That does not mean I will make it easy for her."

"I understand, Mama," Charlotte grinned. "You are doing so much just by keeping the Bridgertons into consideration. They are quite an invaluable family and only deserve the best."